Best way to store M40 gasmask?

militaria360

militaria360

What’s the best way to store a M40 gasmask, for maximum longevity?

Should it be kept in an airtight container or one that can breath?

Should desiccants be kept with it?

It’s made of silicone rubber and butyl rubber.

hawkdriver

The best thing to do is do a complete take down of the mask. If you don't know how to do that, find a current serving Soldier, they will know how. Then using a mild detergent soap and water mix in a bucket, dunk the mask and using a lint free rag, wipe it down and get all the crud and gunk out of it. When done cleaning, get a fresh bucket of clean water and rinse it several times. Dry as much as you can and then let it air dry until completely dry. re assemble the mask.

If you are talking loooooonnnnnnngggggg storage, like decades, remove the disk valves and put between pieces of cardboard and tape shut. Do not put rubber treatment on the mask, it will soften the material and can cause it to fuse to itself. You can use un-scented, pure talc powder to coat the mask, this will keep the rubber from sticking to itself. A light dusting is all it needs. Then get the plastic face form and put it inside the mask, pull the hood over the front of the mask and then fold it up the side of the mask and put it into the carrier. You can leave the filter on or off. I suggest not leaving the filter on as it will deteriorate over time, put a new cannister in the can with the mask. Seal the bag up and put away. If you live in an area of high humidity, you can put the entire thing inside a plastic bag and store it away. Do a PMCS inspection every five years or so and re-apply talk as neccessary. When you take it out of storage, clean the talc out with a dry cloth, put a filter on it, re-install your rubber valve disks, and you will be ready to go.

13M40 (RET)

Hawkdriver, that sounds like great advice! I would like to make one small suggestion. Use wax paper between the valve discs and the cardboard. There is probably nothing wax paper will stick to.

hawkdriver

That may work as well. The only reason I said cardboard is because that is how they come from the factory. I have some disks from the early 70's that look as new as the day they were made.