Darby's Rangers' helmet covers

Sabrejet

Below is a copy of a NARA photo showing members of the famous "Darby's Rangers" during the campaign at Anzio, in 1944. The caption says that they are wearing helmet covers which were peculiar to that unit. They appear to be expedient burlap covers which lack the tailored-fit of contemporary USMC covers. Can anyone shed any more light on these? Thanks!

post-8022-1278006397.jpg

Sabrejet :think:

kjones5452

I like the heck outa the way that guys got that 45 fixed for crossdraw.

Just to jump of the subject for a quick second.

Jamecharles

they were used alot during the Italian campaign, i suppose they are made with juta or wool, many soldiers used their own old shirt to do this ''field cover''

rangers.th.jpgclark325nw1.th.jpgitaly1944stivalim43modi.th.jpg

market garden

A friend of mine was Darby's Ranger (4th Rangers & FSSF) He told me they used old T shirts and alot of burlap on there helmets for camoflage. He told me this several years ago. Market garden

I think the trooper with the cross draw is James Altieri. He wrote a great book about Darby's Rangers and came up through the ranks to become a Major by wars end. Dave

• 8 years later...

I know this thread is almost 10 years old. But, I know what these covers are: they are mosquito nets. I do not know how or when they go them, but they are a personal mosquito net, not intended to be worn over a helmet. The gentleman who runs the blog Foxhole Fashion did a write-up on these. Link to the blog: https://foxholefashion.wordpress.com/2016/04/16/the-anzio-helmet-cover-6615th-ranger-force/. His website provides something better than I could write in a forum post.

I know this thread is almost 10 years old. But, I know what these covers are: they are mosquito nets. I do not know how or when they go them, but they are a personal mosquito net, not intended to be worn over a helmet. The gentleman who runs the blog Foxhole Fashion did a write-up on these. Link to the blog: https://foxholefashion.wordpress.com/2016/04/16/the-anzio-helmet-cover-6615th-ranger-force/. His website provides something better than I could write in a forum post.

Better late than never

Very cool. Thanks for sharing