The 5th Infantry Division

duarte1223

CNY Militaria

I live only 30 minutes from Adam, so He has the area covered in terms of finding 5th ID items, (Beautiful ones at that as seen in his photos!) but I did manage to get these two patches. The one on the left is a greenback.

stuff.jpg

Does anyone know what CSR stands for? ____ Soviet Republic?

Thanks!

Adam

Adam,

Actually, if I am correct, Winterberg, C.S.R. stands for Winter Mountain (Bohmen), Czechoslovakia (CSR)

I hope this helps.

Jeff

Here is a 5th Div uniform that at first dose not look like any thing out of the ordinary until you look inside. It is a tailor made officer quality enlisted man's uniform and worn be a PFC no less. Must have been some family money there.post-55-1167614651.jpg post-55-1167614872.jpg

• 7 years later...

Does anyone know what CSR stands for? ____ Soviet Republic?

Thanks!

Adam

Winterberg C-S.R is City Vimperk, Czechoslovakia, about 15 km from Austria

cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/vimperk

A 2nd Infantry Regiment uniform, unidentified.

i think 2nd infantry regiment was during may 1945 with 1st infantry division , not 5th infantry division. is it right so?

edit.: SORRY was during Vietnam

Here is a 5th Div uniform that at first dose not look like any thing out of the ordinary until you look inside. It is a tailor made officer quality enlisted man's uniform and worn be a PFC no less. Must have been some family money there.attachicon.gifattachment attachicon.gifattachment attachicon.gifattachment

Or he was a great poker player and bought his stuff with his winnings :lol:

i think 2nd infantry regiment was during may 1945 with 1st infantry division , not 5th infantry division. is it right so?

edit.: SORRY was during Vietnam

The Battalions of the 2nd Infantry were indeed a part of the 5th Infantry Division in the mid 60s RAZGY, in the 2nd Brigade at Fort Devens Massachusetts (the rest of the 5th Division was located at Fort Carson Colorado).

I'll let this explain the whole story for me :lol:

Copied and Pasted with an addition of the Battalion numbers in parenthesis by me, taken from a very decently WIKI write up.

When the 1st Infantry Division deployed to Vietnam in 1965, additional manoeuvre battalions were required; thus two infantry battalions from the 2nd Brigade, 5th Infantry Division, at Fort Devens, Massachusetts, were relieved and assigned to "The Big Red One (these being the 1st and 2nd Battalions 2nd Infantry). In September 1965, the 2nd Brigade, 5th Infantry Division was moved, minus personnel, to Fort Carson, Colorado, and refilled there. The remaining personnel at Fort Devens formed the basis of the 196th Infantry Brigade.

Wow! Digging this one up 7 years later! Anyone have anything to add?

Hi Adam,

it is good to now, that those informations is still of some interest.

Razgy

I´m always looking for new informations from my Country ( my Grandfather was from Winterberg - Vimperk ) - forced labor during war

• 2 years later...
  • 7 years later...

Hello all,

Just wanted to post my grandpa's photo, 1st Lt Martin Swanlund in his 5th Division duds.

He was with the 11th Infantry Regiment Co K until commissioned and then transferred to the 6th Infantry Co C.

During the last few horrible weeks of the war and during occupation, he served as company commander.

Swan

MS portrait.jpg