Cut Edge Desert Patches

AndrewA74

Will,

You just supplied me with a super wealth of information! Thank you! While I was hoping it was possible to pin down exact countries of origin on many of the DCU patches, I'm guessing from your explanation, that down the road in a few decades, we'll have the same scenario or problem with these "Gulf Region made" patches we now have with Vietnam War era Vietnamese, Filipino, Korean, Thai and Japanese made patches being labeled "Asian made" because it's pretty tough to determine exact origin on many of those. The friend I acquired the 1st ID patches in my last post from simply stated he couldn't remember which year, 2003 or 2004, that he acquired them. Thanks for the 1st ID OIF I and OIF II history lesson. Your 2004 date has been added to the accompanying tags on these.

Some more DCU SSI's to add to the mix. The following 1st ID patches were supposedly made in Turkey during the Desert Shield buildup and Desert Storm invasion in 1990-1991. All are from the same friend as the Kuwaiti made 1st ID's, with these being machine embroidered on light weight DCU material and rip-stop paper backing. I have examples with both black and brown "1".

Do any of you have information on this type of DS/DS patch or images you can share of other unit patches of the same type?

Thanks!

Gary

post-84-1186288890.jpg

post-84-1186288905.jpg

post-84-1186288926.jpg

post-84-1186288940.jpg

That’s one great collection of 1st Inf Div patches and a lot of great info from lebelmilitaria. Attached a couple of images of two Kuwait made “PX patches”, a 76th Inf Bde Qatar made and Afghan made 45th Inf Bde and 25th Inf Div patches. It seems the Kuwait made patches have about the same backing as the desert subdued/ subdued 1st Inf Div patches posted. The Qatari ones I have run across have no backing at all and the Afghan ones have a white backing with some kind of thick white fabric, but I have an Afghan made CIB with about the same backing as the Kuwait made “PX patches”. The Qatar made patches comes with either a tan (75th Inf Bde) or brown outer edge (11th ACR patches) and the same goes for the Afghan made ones. When it comes to the quality of the images on the patches the Afghan made clearly stands out, like Gary said the stallions on the 11th ACR patches looks like something completely different and the CIB I mentioned isn’t quite as good looking as the original. Not an easy task to figure out how many variations we are dealing with here and for production years I only know the Qatari made patches in my collection are made in 2004.

Erik

post-999-1186306383.jpg

post-999-1186306405.jpg

post-999-1186306439.jpg

Here are a couple of USAF insignia from the 379th Air Expeditionary Wing. There was a shortage of insignia when I first arrived in Qatar in 2004. So I had the embroidery shop on base make a couple patches for me so my uniform would be complete. I was able to get a couple of issue insignia before I left.

post-203-1186341550.jpg

post-203-1186341590.jpg

Those Afghan made TF 1/501 patches (ABN tab over a 172 INF BDE) are killing me! Those are really cool! If you ever want to trade them, let me know.

Here are some I have been picking up in Iraq.

First up, 10th MTN.

The ones on the left are the most common version sold at AAFES alterations shops, the ones on the right have an attached tab and are more crude.

post-781-1186474680.jpg

1st CAV combat patches. Two different versions. VERY few people seem to have the balls to wear this reversed patch anymore since it is unathorized.

post-781-1186475787.jpg

Some really great theater/local made patches being shown here. Keep them coming!! It would appear that one could build a very nice collection on just one division or unit, such as the 101st ABN or SF.

Gary

Here are some Qatari made:

Eric,

Some big differences in Qatari and Iraqi made patches? Your 11th ACR's are super nice local examples, so I'm reposting your opposing set with an Iraqi made opposing set for comparison. The Iraqi made set is on it's way to me from "in country" as we speak and I'll post reverses images when they arrive.

Gary

post-84-1186651062.jpg

post-84-1186651075.jpg

post-84-1186651097.jpg

Gary

It seems that there are quite some differences when you compare the Qatari and Afghan made patches against the Iraqi made ones. Your Iraqi made 11th ACR are different from the Afghan made for sure, no doubt about that. Like GML said it's possible to build up a great collection with patches from one unit only. The oter patches looks real nice as well and I can only hope I will get some of them in my own collection one day. Noticed the shape on the two SF patches are quite different as well as the sword and lightning bolts, are both Iraqi made? If so, it's strange that they differ so much

Erik

Great patches thumbsup.gif . I think this is turning out to be a GREAT reference section. FYI, I WANT ANY LOCAL MADE DESERT PATCHES!!!!! Keep them coming! Are these ussually worth more than regular desert patches?

AndrewA74

post-781-1186664105.jpgErik,

I'm glad you noticed the differences of the SF patches Gary posted. Here is a picture of 3 patches exactly like Gary's that I bought at an alterations shop on one of the larger FOBs here in Baghdad. All three are cut edge and very well made, and all the pieces seen here came from the same shop at the same time. The difference between the two tan ones amazed me. I have already posted the one on the right, but the other two are new.

The fronts:

The backs:

Note one is a black back, the middle one has a light olive colored back, and the one on the right has a white back. All signs of legit WWII patches ermm.gif

post-781-1186664411.jpg

82nd Airborne

The middle one has an attached tab and is made on a fake velvet like material. A lot of Iraqi Army patches I have seen are made on similar type of fabric.

The fronts:

post-781-1186664717.jpg

Some more Airborne units. The ones on the top are one-piece with attached tabs, the ones on the bottom have seperate tabs.

The fronts:

post-781-1186664990.jpg