when to restore a helmet or not

jasonm

Just want to get some opinions on whether or not to remove surface rust or not. I recently acquired an Id'd M1 from a member of the 84th Infantry. The helmet has light surface rust on the inside and outside of the pot. I am from the school of leaving an artifact as is, in its normal state of condition. The helmet is very structurally sound and aside from the surface rust, missing half of a chin strap and a few dents its in good shape. What are the opinions here on the board. Thanks in advance for your input.

Just want to get some opinions on whether or not to remove surface rust or not. I recently acquired an Id'd M1 from a member of the 84th Infantry. The helmet has light surface rust on the inside and outside of the pot. I am from the school of leaving an artifact as is, in its normal state of condition. The helmet is very structurally sound and aside from the surface rust, missing half of a chin strap and a few dents its in good shape. What are the opinions here on the board. Thanks in advance for your input.

If you could post pictures it would be helpful. I have restored 3 helmets, with each one I was merely continuing what the previous owner had started and I would never remove the original finish.

In your case, removing rust may damage that originality, though you may want to treat it to halt the rust?

Rob