868th Bomb Sqr. "snoopers" 13th AF KIA HEART

scottplen

2nd LT Robert A Whyte Radar operator/Observer Lost

on Radar guided nite bombing mission enemy shipping on Mahakam river Borneo,

868th BS was independent Sqr. using radar guided b24s to patrol and attack Japanese shipping

Whyte was radar operator /observer I believe radar was in place of belly turret

Have a lot of pics!!!!!

I think this is a pretty rare unit!! :think:

post-620-1277933040.jpg

post-620-1277933052.jpg

Hell's Belle was lost behind enemy line on borneo one crew man escaped and was rescued by natives

all others lost KIA Plane was recovered 1950 and all but Whyte buried in Arlington He was buried in Manila American cem. (Leter to father of one of the crew)attached

OCR_letter_to_mr_ciak_re_search_2.pdf

dhcoleterracina

fantastic group in incredible condition. Looks like it was put away as soon as it was received by the family.

Fantastic! Have you managed to find out about a MACR yet?? If not check this out on footnote

MACR

Hopefully it works :thumbsup:

Rob

Forgot to ask. Machine engraved or just a really small, neat hand??

Jack's Son

Hey Scott,

This group looks like fun! There is a lot of information to start with, and his unit is really cool.

Have fun, I know you will keep us up to date.

Enjoy,

JS

Hi Scott,

I have a Purple Heart to a crew member who was also killed on the same plane.

Sgt. Frederick L. Schreckenberg (gunner).

I have a copy of his IDPF that I can send you. It might have some additional information that could help you in your research.

h2oman

Hi Scott,

I have a Purple Heart to a crew member who was also killed on the same plane.

Sgt. Frederick L. Schreckenberg (gunner).

I have a copy of his IDPF that I can send you. It might have some additional information that could help you in your research.

h2oman

Cool thanks joe!!! Ever want to sell let me know!!!!

scott

Hi Scott,

It's been a busy month, I must have missed this one. This is an excellent grouping, and as was said earlier, it's all it great condition. Thanks for sharing this one!

Pretty cool Joe has one of the other crew. It's a small world.

• 1 year later...

I am waiting on getting a PH to F. L. schreckenberg who lost his life with Lt whyte on this mission He was a gunner

as soon as it comes in i will post pics!!! :salute:

Scott,

A very nice grouping! Also a nice tribute that you did on the WWII memorial. Great job on helping others to remember him.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Congrats Scott !! Quite a grouping and a fitting tribute to this gallant flyier !!

Vic

Scott,

That is really great that you have been able to match them up!

Good luck with the rest of the crew! :thumbsup:

Heres the Purple heart to Sgt. Frederick L Schreckenberg He was a gunner on Hells Belle and died with Lt Whyte I stand corrected on info according to IDPF

Whyte and Lt Grieves were IdEd because of nametags on uniform others had no Ids on them. Hells belle crashed at Posi Posi,Halmahera NEI enemy territory one member of crew was ejected (sgt Rutledge) the only survivor All remains recovered by Guerrilla forces and placed in the church at Posi Posi, Later(1946) turned over to allied forces and the remaining 8 placed in storage in the PI as Unknowns not until 1949 were they Ided and all were place in a Grave at Arlington NC.

I can't believe i found another crewman of whyte! There are reunited again!

post-620-1311470398.jpg

post-620-1311470411.jpg

• 1 month later...

I happened on this site yesterday. What a great thing you all are doing collecting these artifacts. My father was a Snooper (radar observer) with the 868th.

The Snoopers were indeed a very special group. The 13th Vets Association Historian (now passed) convinced the Pentagon to finally write their history and give them the credit they deserve for their major contribution toward winning the Pacific via their work bombing Japanese shipping, airdromes and refineries.

I have estimated there were about 1000 airmen in all. There were approximately 100 crews (replacements) that grew from the original 10 who were sent to Guadalcanal in Aug. '43. From August to December 43 they were part of the 5 Bomb Group 394th Bombardment Squadron. January 1, 1944 they became the Snoopers. There was never a patch but the tail of the plane was a yellow diamond with a large white S. I found a picture of a plane in a bone yard that was posted elsewhere on the web and I have a replica of the tail insignia. If anyone is interested I will look them up and post them.

Other groups attempt to call themselves Snoopers but they were not. The 868th men and planes were the only unit called Snoopers.

What a fun site. I will spend much time looking around.

I happened on this site yesterday. What a great thing you all are doing collecting these artifacts. My father was a Snooper (radar observer) with the 868th.

The Snoopers were indeed a very special group. The 13th Vets Association Historian (now passed) convinced the Pentagon to finally write their history and give them the credit they deserve for their major contribution toward winning the Pacific via their work bombing Japanese shipping, airdromes and refineries.

I have estimated there were about 1000 airmen in all. There were approximately 100 crews (replacements) that grew from the original 10 who were sent to Guadalcanal in Aug. '43. From August to December 43 they were part of the 5 Bomb Group 394th Bombardment Squadron. January 1, 1944 they became the Snoopers. There was never a patch but the tail of the plane was a yellow diamond with a large white S. I found a picture of a plane in a bone yard that was posted elsewhere on the web and I have a replica of the tail insignia. If anyone is interested I will look them up and post them.

Other groups attempt to call themselves Snoopers but they were not. The 868th men and planes were the only unit called Snoopers.

What a fun site. I will spend much time looking around.

would love to see tail insignia!