USAAF Sterling 2-Piece Air Crew Wing Amcraft pattern

flyingfortress

flyingfortress

I recently acquired this USAAF sterling 2-piece air crew wing at a flea market. It's a common wing and I have plenty of them but this one has nice eye appeal. The U.S. coat of arms was applied to what was once an Observer wing. The wing is 3 1/8" wide and quite heavy. I believe the wing is WWII-era even though the sterling hallmark on the back is not in raised relief. Enjoy the images.

Regards, George

post-6250-1277928448.jpg

post-6250-1277928512.jpg

John Cooper

That is a sweet variation I really like it! The center device is striking and if I memory serves me is the exact same center device as GEMSCo used on one of their pattern wings. I will have to dig mine up and post it.

Cheers

John

That is a sweet variation I really like it! The center device is striking and if I memory serves me is the exact same center device as GEMSCo used on one of their pattern wings. I will have to dig mine up and post it.

Cheers

John

Well spoted, just compared my GEMSCO with my AMCRAFT and it looks like the badge in this post is an Amcraft wing with a Gemsco aircrew device......Now does this lend weight to a certan theory thats been doing the rounds ? :think:

NOOOO ! not the GEMSCO - Amcraft debate again :rolleyes: ! The key is the clasp roller , I have never seen that style on a GEMSCO only Amcraft. So let the opinions commence :D

John Cooper
Well spoted, just compared my GEMSCO with my AMCRAFT and it looks like the badge in this post is an Amcraft wing with a Gemsco aircrew device......Now does this lend weight to a certan theory thats been doing the rounds ? :think:

True but far be it from me to beat a dead horse ;)

BTW do not pay attention to Paul C... I have suspected that Paul C and Patrick F are one in the same... lol!

PS it's a GEMSCRAFT!

Cheers

John

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this is an old discussion, but is it possible that the center eagle was made by Gemsco or a third party, then bought by Amcraft for their Aircrew wings?

Thinking it might have been cheaper, or quicker for Amcraft to buy the eagles from another firm that had dies, than make a die or dies for it in house.