What is it?? Case, Carrying, M41

Corpl. Cleaver

Corpl. Cleaver

My brother has 2 of these containers, and we have no idea what they are from.

01310.jpg

01410.jpg

There is a depression on the bottom, and around it it says "Case, Carrying, M41" and below that "C130947"

On the inside of the lid it says "B181119"

What is it? What is it for? When is it from?

Thanks,

Tyler

Corpl. Cleaver

No, I have a match safe, it is about 2-3 inches long and a under a inch across.

As you can see by the patch, this is alot bigger than a match safe.

i'm just waiting for General Apathy to reply.... see if he knows... ;)

Tyler

Could be a carrying case for the little round fuel tablets for the three wing stoves.............

It's Ordnance related for sure. I just can't locate it in any of my manuals. There are many Case, Carrying items that are in the manuals, just not the M41. I've been looking for a few years with no luck on this one.

General Apathy

post-344-1278402076.jpg

No, I have a match safe, it is about 2-3 inches long and a under a inch across.

As you can see by the patch, this is alot bigger than a match safe.

i'm just waiting for General Apathy to reply.... see if he knows... ;)

Tyler

Hi Tyler, I have looked at this with interest several times, I haven't passed comment as it appears to be a more modern ' plastic ' than any used in WWII, the designation M-41 I don't figure relates to 1941 as far as I know.

I discounted matchsafe as it appears larger measured along side your Marine tape, shown above is a Marine matchbox of WWII and although similar in body and cap design it is much smaller.

Sorry I can't help you on this one, sounds like robinb might be the only other collector on the forum with an example.

Cheers Lewis

• 9 years later...

On a Summer Saturday once a year ca. late 1950s/early 1960s, the National Guard conducted a mock battle at Bay View Park in Toledo, OH.  Civilians watched from a distance and it was the annual spectacle for pre-teen boys.  After the battle, Soldiers combed the grounds for bullet shells, clips, and other dropped hardware.  After that, us kids scoured the deep grass for anything they missed.  The case survives to this day as my abuse-proof Allen wrench holder.  Other containers would likely have broken over these 60 years.  That's all I know about it, other than the inside still has a foul odor.

Case Carrying M41 IMG_2157 small.jpg