What type beret worn for this style uniform?

Tonomachi

July 26, 2007

Hello,

I picked this LLDB camoflage uniform up for next to nothing a couple of years ago at Goodwill. I was told that this was a late period LLDB uniform. It sort of copies the US jungle jacket but with a French or British style older camoflage pattern. Does anyone have any other information on this jacket? Does anyone know what style green beret and badge would have been worn with this uniform?

Thanks,

Dennis

post-1389-1185474900.jpg

post-1389-1185474912.jpg

post-1389-1185474923.jpg

vintageproductions

Dennis-That is by far one of the rarest camo uniforms out of Vietnam. It is based on the WWII british SAS windproof pattern that the French had been issued during their time in Vietnam. There are three different styles, your exposed button set, a classic ARVN fatigue and a US OG-107 type pattern. There is also a famous issue of Life magazine with Pete Dawkins a airborne advisor wearing a ste of these. Later in the war I believe only the Presidential Guards could get this pattern. They would have worn a basic green beret with this. There are also boonie hats made in this pattern.

Bob

Dennis-That is by far one of the rarest camo uniforms out of Vietnam. It is based on the WWII british SAS windproof pattern that the French had been issued during their time in Vietnam. There are three different styles, your exposed button set, a classic ARVN fatigue and a US OG-107 type pattern. There is also a famous issue of Life magazine with Pete Dawkins a airborne advisor wearing a ste of these. Later in the war I believe only the Presidential Guards could get this pattern. They would have worn a basic green beret with this. There are also boonie hats made in this pattern.

Bob

Bob,

Many thanks for the information on this uniform and the others. I have attached scans of a LLDB green beret that did not come with this uniform but is it the right style/period for this uniform for display purposes?

Dennis

post-1389-1185478084.jpg

post-1389-1185478099.jpg

Luckily I have a lightweight laptop computer so it's easy to rotate it to look at the photos. Your photo processing software should have an option to rotate photos so other forum members don't get a sore neck trying to view them :)

thanks..

Very nice jacket thumbsup.gif

Great! Great!

"Pinks" or "Bulletproof" sets are hard to find but patched, the icing on the cake! w00t.gif

Cheers

Valery

Indeed an amazing find.

Quite superb!

Here is a first pattern beret badge for you on a private purchase tailor shop beret.

post-109-1185562563.jpg

Dennis,

The pixies that you are finding at Goodwill and flea markets are amazing. The special forces uniform is a great find. This uniform pattern was heavily used by Airborne Advisors (Advisory Team 162) to the Vietnamese Airborne Division and their Vietnamese counterparts. Great finds!!!!!

Aloha

Dennis