???? on a CPO uniform

twincamridr

twincamridr

Hello to all, I am writing this because I need some help. My nephew asked me to help him with a summer school project, and since I do not know the answers, I would like to ask for some help with some questions regarding the Chief Petty Officer's uniform circa late 1970's to mid 1980's Qeustion 1. On the choker white service uniform is the rate/rating patch worn? (I have seen pictures where only the collar devices were worn, but I thought that the rate/rating patch was worn on every uniform) Question 2. Using the example name of John Smith - If this man was as an example, a Boatswain's Mate who made Chief Petty Officer, how would that be written on paper? Question 3. How would this man be addressed? I would like to say "Thank You" in advance from me and my nephew, to any of you who can help in this matter.

Hello to all, I am writing this because I need some help. My nephew asked me to help him with a summer school project, and since I do not know the answers, I would like to ask for some help with some questions regarding the Chief Petty Officer's uniform circa late 1970's to mid 1980's Qeustion 1. On the choker white service uniform is the rate/rating patch worn? (I have seen pictures where only the collar devices were worn, but I thought that the rate/rating patch was worn on every uniform) Question 2. Using the example name of John Smith - If this man was as an example, a Boatswain's Mate who made Chief Petty Officer, how would that be written on paper? Question 3. How would this man be addressed? I would like to say "Thank You" in advance from me and my nephew, to any of you who can help in this matter.

1. Only pin on collar devices are worn on the choker whites by CPOs. they are not the same as those worn on shirt collars. They are the same style and size, byt have a pin on the back rather than the clutches of shirt style.

2. Smith, John, BMC USN

3. (First choice)Chief, or )Second Choice)Chief Smith, or (Last Choice)BMC Smith

Steve Hesson SMCS USN (RET)

As I replied to your question here:

http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/board/showth...38941#post38941

Please see the attached photo. Is this the one you speak of?

1. and 2. It does not look like the rating badge or hash marks are worn on it. It looks like only the collar devices are worn.

3. The member is to be verbally addressed by his paygrade(Chief, Senior Chief, Master Chief)

4. In writing, by "Chief John Smith", "CPO John Smith" or with their rate "BMC John Smith" or even "Chief Boatswains Mate John Smith".

post-4249-1277962112.jpg

1. and 2. It does not look like the rating badge or hash marks are worn on it. It looks like only the collar devices are worn.

3. The member is to be verbally addressed by his paygrade(Chief, Senior Chief, Master Chief)

4. In writing, by "Chief John Smith", "CPO John Smith" or with their rate "BMC John Smith" or even "Chief Boatswains Mate John Smith".

Paul, you are correct. I replied more like we actually did it with reguards to spolen and written forms of address, and that depends on the situation. And after thinking about it, the original srevice dress white (Coat and tie) uniform was dropped in '75, and the choker did not get adopted until the mid/late '80s. While the picture you have posted is completely correct, and the uniform was a "Service Dress", meaning it was to be worn with ribbons, I do not ever remember any one wearing it that way. It was reserved for Full Dress (with medals) for the entire tme I was a Chief (84-99). I wore that uniform three times for change of commands, and for no other reason. some wore it as dinner dress with miniture medals, but I don't ever recall any one actually wearing it as service dress.

In stead we wore the short sleeved white shirt with ribbons, badges and collar devices. That's one of the reasons they are bringing the dress khakis back. The short sleeved shirt is not formal enough and the chokers just suck.

Steve

Paul, you are correct. I replied more like we actually did it with reguards to spolen and written forms of address, and that depends on the situation. And after thinking about it, the original srevice dress white (Coat and tie) uniform was dropped in '75, and the choker did not get adopted until the mid/late '80s. While the picture you have posted is completely correct, and the uniform was a "Service Dress", meaning it was to be worn with ribbons, I do not ever remember any one wearing it that way. It was reserved for Full Dress (with medals) for the entire tme I was a Chief (84-99). I wore that uniform three times for change of commands, and for no other reason. some wore it as dinner dress with miniture medals, but I don't ever recall any one actually wearing it as service dress.

In stead we wore the short sleeved white shirt with ribbons, badges and collar devices. That's one of the reasons they are bringing the dress khakis back. The short sleeved shirt is not formal enough and the chokers just suck.

Steve

I actually like the "chokers," but only wore them twice and borrowed the set both times.

One of the USN's sharper looking uniforms, in my opinion, although I do like the "dress khaki," and if I were still active, I'd have a set tailor-made today. I wonder if they've got shark skin khaki?

-dan

I actually like the "chokers," but only wore them twice and borrowed the set both times.

One of the USN's sharper looking uniforms, in my opinion, although I do like the "dress khaki," and if I were still active, I'd have a set tailor-made today. I wonder if they've got shark skin khaki?

-dan

Shark Skin Khaki!! Dan, you're Killin' me :lol: I hated the chokers. They were uncomfortable and just, (to me) looked "junkey". It wsa a cast off officer uniform. Might not have been so bad if we could have had a crow and hashmarks on it. For a white CCPO uniform, I always liked the suit and tie whites, those looked sharp and were distinctly Chiefs uniforms. Khakis were ok, better than whites.

Steve

twincamridr
1. Only pin on collar devices are worn on the choker whites by CPOs. they are not the same as those worn on shirt collars. They are the same style and size, byt have a pin on the back rather than the clutches of shirt style.

2. Smith, John, BMC USN

3. (First choice)Chief, or )Second Choice)Chief Smith, or (Last Choice)BMC Smith

Steve Hesson SMCS USN (RET)

Thank you for the information. This has been very helpful.

twincamridr

Thank you for the response and the photo. This has helped a great deal.

twincamridr

-dan

Thank you for responding. I enjoyed the link you provided, it has some great information.