Show your Rarest or Favorite Uniforms!

CNY Militaria

This has been address years ago. In a copy of the Naval Officer Guide,dated 1943 by McGraw-Hill Book Company. Chapter VI, Uniform and Equipment,page 218 section 699. and I quote:

"Not more than one Medal of Honor, or one Distinguished Service Medal or one Navy Cross shall be issued to any one person, but for each succeeding deed of service sufficient to justify the award the President may award a suitable emblem or isginia to be worn with the decoration and the corresponding rosette or other device. By direction of the President a gold five pointed star, 1/4 inch in diameter will be issued to any person already holding a Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Medal, or Navy Cross, respectively. The star will be worn on the ribbon attached to the medal or cross and also upon the service ribbon when worn in lieu of the medal or cross." I hope this helps. But yes this has been addressed.

4starchris

I have this book also and I agree it states this. I would like to see other, older regs as well. I can not say for sure but when I was in the Marine Corps we were told that a second ribbon or medal was worn for each additional award of the Medal of Honor. I am not trying to argue the point at all but the uniform you show, plus all of the photos I have ever seen of him or Dan Daly with their awards have always shown two medals or two ribbons. Maybe the regs had changed. This would be interesting to research a bit more thuroughly.

I have this book also and I agree it states this. I would like to see other, older regs as well. I can not say for sure but when I was in the Marine Corps we were told that a second ribbon or medal was worn for each additional award of the Medal of Honor. I am not trying to argue the point at all but the uniform you show, plus all of the photos I have ever seen of him or Dan Daly with their awards have always shown two medals or two ribbons. Maybe the regs had changed. This would be interesting to research a bit more thuroughly.

I would have to agree. Both Butler and Daly did this. However, they also introduced a third MOH type ribbon. MG Butler MOH ribbon is quite different than the one in the book, and it shows two different. We'll keep looking.

4starchris

I would have to agree. Both Butler and Daly did this. However, they also introduced a third MOH type ribbon. MG Butler MOH ribbon is quite different than the one in the book, and it shows two different. We'll keep looking.

4starchris

What is interesting about that is the "New" style Medal of Honor they show. You can deffinately tell that all kinds of stuff change from time to time. I dont think they stayed with that new version of the medal for very long.

Here is one of my first uniforms i've picked up.
Jacket of Pvt H.L. Backus, Battery E (searchlight),
64th Coastal Artillery (AA) at Ewa, Pearl Harbor, 7th December 1941.

regards,
Stephan

Interesting -- my (step)grandfather was in the 64th CAC in the Great War -- was days from going to the front but the Armistace came (He never complained).

This one is certainly one of my favorites. It was worn by LTG George P. Hays when he commanded the Austrian Occupation. As a two-star, Hays had commanded 10th Mountain Division. He won the MOH in WW1 as a young artillery officer.

134_3467__2_.JPG

Here's a closeup of the ribbons -- note the "M" pattern of the stars on the MOH. He also wears British, French and Italian decorations.

134_3468__3_.JPG

And here's the right side. The Croix de Guerre fourragiere is from WW1

134_3469__3_.JPG

To have just one uniform with the MOH on it would make me very happy. You all make me sick with envy showing these things off.

What is interesting about that is the "New" style Medal of Honor they show. You can deffinately tell that all kinds of stuff change from time to time. I dont think they stayed with that new version of the medal for very long.

In going thru all my pics of the Medal of Honor. On the double MOH guys I show 6 different ways that they wore it. Coming to the conclusion. One, they did not have the oak-leaf cluster/ gold star then. Second, no regulation that I have found to date addressed the issue of double medal of honor guidelines.

Again, who was going to say anything. Interesting to note though, most double MOH recipients lived to tell the tale.

Will continue the quest for knowledge in this area.

4starchris

4STARCHRIS said:
In going thru all my pics of the Medal of Honor. On the double MOH guys I show 6 different ways that they wore it. Coming to the conclusion. One, they did not have the oak-leaf cluster/ gold star then. Second, no regulation that I have found to date addressed the issue of double medal of honor guidelines.

Again, who was going to say anything. Interesting to note though, most double MOH recipients lived to tell the tale.

Will continue the quest for knowledge in this area.

4starchris

Well, this one is pretty plain, but it is one of my favorites, Agfain, there is a story that goes with it.

A friend in CA asked me to research the owner of a coat he had just been given. He gave me the name "G. Morgan" and the date of 1896. After a bit of research, I found only one regular Army officer who fit -- George Morgan. He made CPT, 6th Cav in '96. He also received a MOH several years after a battle with the Apaches in AZ! WOW!

Mike and I worked to find the missing parts -- collar brass and shoulder straps.

He chose to restore it to 1903, just before Morgan was promoted to MAJ. Morgan later on commanded a Cav Regt i=on the Mexican Border and helped set up training sites during WW1. He retired shortly thereafter. He died about 1948 and was, at the time, the oldest living graduate of USMA.

Google George Morgan and you can see his grave at Arlington and his MOH citation.

134_3474__2_.JPG

Here's a close up of the shopulder area. The MOH is a repro of the type they wore when he won his. These were fairly available 20 years ago to collectors.

134_3475__2_.JPG

This has been address years ago. In a copy of the Naval Officer Guide,dated 1943 by McGraw-Hill Book Company. Chapter VI, Uniform and Equipment,page 218 section 699. and I quote:

"Not more than one Medal of Honor, or one Distinguished Service Medal or one Navy Cross shall be issued to any one person, but for each succeeding deed of service sufficient to justify the award the President may award a suitable emblem or isginia to be worn with the decoration and the corresponding rosette or other device. By direction of the President a gold five pointed star, 1/4 inch in diameter will be issued to any person already holding a Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Medal, or Navy Cross, respectively. The star will be worn on the ribbon attached to the medal or cross and also upon the service ribbon when worn in lieu of the medal or cross." I hope this helps. But yes this has been addressed.

4starchris

Excellent, thanks!!

Not sure about rarity, but it's the first time I've seen an armor school "S" patch on a uniform. Here, a four pocket to a Lieutenant C. Smith.

post-78-1176258909.jpg

General Apathy

Hi Kellermaxe, thanks for posting the shots of a nice named uniform, and something to be proud of in your collection.

Just a little note for you, I spotted that you have a folded pillow cover in the bottom of your case. I think it is a ' flock-material ' printed one, these are prone to cracking and splitting along the fold lines and the flock peels off and sometimes the pillow-case itself splits and the damage is done.

Myself and a couple of other members of this forum suggested keeping these flat without folding, in a section on pillow-case covers a couple of weeks back. Take a look I think it was in the home front section.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi Lewis!

First off let me thank you for your kind words regarding my uniform. Really love it!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for telling me about the pillow cover as it is a named one and I sure enough would not like to damage it! So thank you from the bottom of my heart!!

Best regards

Max

Hi Max,

Very nice 4-pocket jacket! I really love those jackets, and i hope that i can add a 101st 4-pocket jacket to my collection sometime, they are hard to find, but the reward is huge.

Regards Daan

P.s. Everyone in this topic posted very nice photos of their jackets! I also love the jackets of Dennis he posted a couple pages back, but also the General jackets and much more, every jacket or uniform is interesting!

Keep up the Good work!

Re: Double MoH recipients

Of the 19 recipients of two Medals of Honor, the last recipient for two different actions was USN Chief Watertender John King. (The last five of the nineteen recipients were USMC enlisted men in WWI who received both the Army and Navy MoH for a single action)

Chief King received his second MoH for action on 13 Sept 1909. There were no regulations on how to wear multiple awards at this time, and recipients were issued multiple medals and ribbons.

I believe, and will research, that after USMC Sergeant John Basilone died in combat in WWII after having already received his MoH, the services decreed that no MoH recipient would go back into combat. This effectively precluded any future double recipients of the MoH.

One of the best books that I've found for MoH history is A Shower of Stars, by John J. Pullen, Stackpole Books. While this deals with a Civil War unit, the 27th Maine, it covers overall MoH history quite well.

I will post a fairly comprehensive MoH resource list in another thread.

I have an interest in Chief King. My Dad finished out his career on the DDG-3 USS John King.

Chief King earned both his MoH's in peace time boiler accidents. Brave is brave when your life is in danger.

post-78-1176472216.jpg

post-78-1176472432.jpg

CNY Militaria

I guess I will show this one. From a stateside 4th AAF pilot. The AAF patch and Wings are bullion. Its named as well.

i_008.jpg

i_009.jpg

i_015.jpg

Here's something other than TD. The left sleeve has a nicely embroidered United States Forces Austria/5th US Infantry scroll, trimmed with dogtag chain (as is the USFA patch). This GI was initially assigned to the 66th Inf Regt, 71st ID. That theater made patch and scroll, also trimmed in dogtag chain. The scroll has "MP" on the far end, but I can't get make the sleeve stand up enough to show the entire scroll. There is also a bullion CIB, a 5-place ribbon setting w/o the bar(s), 5th Inf DIs (PB), Pfc chevrons, and a pair of bullion o/s hashmarks.

post-622-1176528157.jpg

post-622-1176528173.jpg

• 9 months later...