Show your Rarest or Favorite Uniforms!

CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

I have a few uniforms which I consider to be "RARE".

1- Service Pilot Uniform bought straight from the veteran's son, that came with some extras. Combine the service pilot aspect with the fact that he was also a flight instructor!

stuff_385.jpg

stuff_386.jpg

stuff_387.jpg

stuff_389.jpg

stuff_392.jpg

stuff_391.jpg

stuff_393.jpg

CNY Militaria

Next a Flight Surgeon Uniform to a Doctor/Major who studied PTSD heavily during the war and flew in a lot of missions. He was attached to the 8th AAF as a whole rather than a single unit.

military_show_052.jpg

military_show_053.jpg

military_show_055.jpg

I'll jump in, first, my favorite uniform, my Grandpa's.

post-101-1167589232.jpg

The "50 mission crush" he got for flying a plane to make sure the repairs they made would hold.

post-101-1167589296.jpg

And here are my rarest.

Two 101st AB jump jackets, one belonging to James E. Gorman, the other having a stenciled laundry mark inside...

post-101-1167589756.jpg

And the other...

post-101-1167589782.jpg

This uniform belonged to 2nd LT. Ruford P. Covington Jr. He was a Night Fighter Pilot who served with VMF(N)- 533 and 543 . He was KIA over Okinawa on 6/11/45 . He earned the DFC with 1 GS / Air Medal with 6 GS / and the Purple Heart . He scored one victory against a Japanese aircraft ( a Hamp ) on 5/27/45 .

The uniform is named to him in the pocket and dated 11/43 .

Leather Flight Jacket nametags

covington_1.JPG

covington_3.JPG

This uniform is to a fella that served in the OSS in Greese, I was hoping that someone might be able to ID the patch on the right breast pocket. I believe it might be Greek of some sort. The picture in the lower right corner is of the man in this uniform. This is my first attempt at posting with a picture, I hope it comes out OK. Jon post-179-1167596518.jpg

CNY Militaria

Here is one to a X Corps, FEC Colonel. The ribbon bar is sewn on, and the US and ordnance insignia is direct bullion. Not shown, but the overseas bars are direct bullioned on as well on the right sleeve. I also didn't show either shoulder patch or he Col rank on top.

uniformexp.JPG

stuff_426.jpg

military_331.jpg

Nice uniforms everyone!

Here is a treasured FSSF uniform that is part of a grouping I have. The guy was a local, and his widow lives less than a mile from my house! I've had the pleasure of meeting with her several times to discuss her late husband's involvement in WWII.

He was in the Force since it's inception in 1942 at Helena, MT. He went to the Aleutians and was later wounded in Italy.

---Chris

post-235-1167767991.jpg

post-235-1167768388.jpgpost-235-1167768941.jpg

Thats a real nice uniform youve got there! I like those uniforms that go with a picture to prove the uniform is not messed with! Also nice to see is that mini jump wing on this garrison!

Sebas

Thats a real nice uniform youve got there! I like those uniforms that go with a picture to prove the uniform is not messed with! Also nice to see is that mini jump wing on this garrison!

Sebas

Thanks! I added a period pic to verify how the vet elected to wear his FSSF braid. It's rather unorthodox but 100% legit.

His O/S cap is nice quality elastic wool, itentical to the material used on WWII officer blouses.
---Chris

Thanks! I added a period pic to verify how the vet elected to wear his FSSF braid. It's rather unorthodox but 100% legit.

His O/S cap is nice quality elastic wool, itentical to the material used on WWII officer blouses.

---Chris

Chris what regiment was he in?,Would his family have any pictures that we could share?.

Cheers,

Dave.

CNY Militaria

Named 3rd Army, ETO uniform. the Rank is in Bullion.I also have his khaki set with the same insignia.

military_show_196.jpg

military_show_197.jpg

Although not a true military uniform, this ranks as my favorite piece. This child's uniform is scarce, but to know the name of the boy who wore it and have a photo of him in it must put it in the realm of one-of-a-kind!

This child's Army Air Corps uniform with winged propeller buttons and pseudo pilot "wings" [and decorative Army Service Forces patch] belonged to Richard Wolthuis of Fostoria, Iowa, and was given to him Christmas of 1943 by his grandfather. Richard wore it only on special occasions because the wool made him itch! Later, his mother added a cotton lining and suspenders to the trousers. The photo of Richard proudly posed in his new uniform was taken when he was three years old.

post-211-1167784868.jpg post-211-1167784900.jpg