Show your Rarest or Favorite Uniforms!

CNY Militaria

again, not rare but it is my favorite.My Grandfather's , Harry S. Wise, dress uniform. He was drafted in 1944 at the young age of 37. Due to his age (and having a glass eye), he never left the states. He spent his short Army career at Camp Dodge, IA and Ft Leavenworth, KS (not in the military prison).

post-2527-0-39356600-1454091983.jpg

post-2527-0-75841900-1454091993.jpg

post-2527-0-97732600-1454092171.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
MilRGRHistory

This is my favorite uniform; it was my Great Grandfather's. He was wounded 17 October, 1918.

post-153545-0-11387900-1455082115.jpg

post-153545-0-12636800-1455082126.jpg

Here is his company roster provided in 1919 by the WWI Veterans association. Amazing that the paper and uniform survived almost 70 years in my Great Aunt's basement. The uniform is pristine, it was kept in a cedar trunk.

post-153545-0-32862300-1455082367.jpg

MilRGRHistory

Thank you. I also have his engraved Purple Heart and award memo on onion skin paper from 1937. Also have his ornate wound poster in original mailing tube. Very happy to have it in the family.

This definitely counts as one of my favorite uniforms and could be rare or at least very uncommon. A 1940 dated jacket named to a marine who not only helped to defend Tarawa from Japanese bombers after the island was captured but was one of the 1500 marines who fought on the ground during the Battle of Leyte.

post-159863-0-63905500-1455421897.jpg

post-159863-0-73582500-1455421912.jpg

post-159863-0-81085200-1455422019.jpg

Too Much WW1 Militaria

That looks familiar! Glad you like it! Dad you ever send for his brick from NARA?

John

attachicon.gif cox 1.jpgattachicon.gif cox 2.jpg

My uniform collection is nothing to brag about and certainly wouldn't hold a candle to what is shared within the previous posts on this thread. I spent the most for this 1905-1913 jumper (of all my uniforms) and it is also the oldest in my collection.

That looks familiar! Glad you like it! Dad you ever send for his brick from NARA?

John

John, I haven't sent for anything yet. It does have two names stenciled in it, so I haven't been able to narrow down a direction to take with NARA. ?

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Well, the bricks run about $60 a pop, so, it's a roll of the dice! I can't remember the names, but I think one is uncommon.

John

Well, the bricks run about $60 a pop, so, it's a roll of the dice! I can't remember the names, but I think one is uncommon.

John

It is worth it to me to do the research, but I have been doing so many other things (and spending too much money) that I need to slow things down and look at this research and get it done.

• 1 month later...
ItemCo16527

This uniform is my favorite because it was my grandfather's. Everything but the ribbons and the Meritorious Unit Commendation are original to the jacket. The latter I added using thread from his Army-issue sewing kit, which he'd saved for some reason, when I found out his unit had been awarded the MUC.

A little backstory:

When I was around 12, I really wanted to get an original Ike jacket. I was World War II-obsessed even at that age, and absolutely loved the look of the Ike. This was back in 1990, so I couldn't just go online and buy one from eBay or a militaria website. My parents tried finding one, but to no avail. One day, my mother was talking to my grandfather about this, and he said "why not just give him mine?". So, one day I walk home from school and see my grandparents' car in the driveway. I walk into the house, and I see, hanging from the hall closet doorknob, Pop's Ike jacket. He and my grandmother had driven it over for me that afternoon. I can't even begin to describe my excitement at not just having an Ike, but my grandfather's Ike! :D

I have had this jacket for 26 years now, and it is, without question, my most prized possession. Hope you guys like the pictures. I even included one of him wearing the Ike after he was discharged in October 1945.

post-2275-0-48311500-1459829413.jpg

post-2275-0-33140100-1459829428.jpg

post-2275-0-19533300-1459829456.jpg

My first (and favorite) uniform in my collection. Mint set of reversible HBTs that my father picked out of a warehouse during a working party at Camp Lejeune in 1958. Since he was a regular 0311, he wasn't authorized to wear them, hence their condition. Covered up the name when I posted them on here a few years ago since I was still active duty, but it's just hand drawn black ink. The value to me is not what they're worth in $$, but that they are they only thing remaining from his time in the Corps besides a few photographs, his dog tags and a P-38 can opener.

Semper Fi,

Ski

post-1867-1259890464.jpgpost-1867-1259890568.jpgpost-1867-1259890582.jpg

Is that a P42 top and P44 pants? If so, that'd what my set is from a guy that was in the Corps at the same time!

Sure is! The P44 trousers have the belt "slits" vice loops. I've seen photos of Recon-types wearing reversible HBTs during the '60s, I'm just glad my Pop was able to salvage these. What's even more incredible is that I never wore them in my backyard battles as a kid!

Semper,

Ski

ItemCo16527

Great uniform Jeff.. nothing can beat a family uniform.

Thank you! You're absolutely right, nothing beats family items. I wouldn't trade my grandfather's uniform for anything in the world.

• 3 months later...
Innerworld3

This definitely counts as one of my favorite uniforms and could be rare or at least very uncommon. A 1940 dated jacket named to a marine who not only helped to defend Tarawa from Japanese bombers after the island was captured but was one of the 1500 marines who fought on the ground during the Battle of Leyte.

Gorgeous tunic! Love the history behind it. Was it common to see division insignia on Marine greens as early as 1940 or would that have been added later?

Gorgeous tunic! Love the history behind it. Was it common to see division insignia on Marine greens as early as 1940 or would that have been added later?

I'm not sure as this is the first USMC tunic I have that has been made pre-US intro into WW2. The tunic was a surprise find on ebay and I got it for relatively cheap ($40) which I was surprised at even more since I thought the history would bump it up a little more in sale price.

Great 16th AD uniforms! Do you specialize in that Div?

Thanks carbinephalen.

The 16th Armored division is my favorite division. I lived on the edge of the town Plzen. The town Plzen was liberated by 16th Armored division on the 6. may 1945. The 16th Armored division is my heart matter !! :)