Pigeon vest

US0844

Hello everyone, I'm looking for a pigeon vest and I would like to know the average price for this kind of equipment ?

Thank you very much ;)

pegeonvest.jpg

I watched a few pigeon items on ebay like harnesses and transport cages but none seemed to bring much. A compartmentalized WWI wicker cage brought $15 as I recall.

General Apathy

post-344-1278054787.jpg

Hello everyone, I'm looking for a pigeon vest and I would like to know the average price for this kind of equipment ?

Thank you very much ;)

pegeonvest.jpg

Hi USO844, good luck with your search for a vest, sorry I can't help you but up until four years ago when I closed my store I had pigeon vests in unopened cartons, I also had the little cellulose leg message capsules.

Happy hunting. Lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1278073182.jpg

Hello, thank you General ;)

Hi USO844, attached is a shot of the pigeon leg capsules and the tissue paper message pads which I also sold. :lol:

At a display I did someone once asked why pigeons would have these capsules on their legs, with a dead pan straight face I replied ' for the cyanide capsules in case they were caught behind enemy lines ' :blink:

Cheers Lewis

Old Marine
At a display I did someone once asked why pigeons would have these capsules on their legs, with a dead pan straight face I replied ' for the cyanide capsules in case they were caught behind enemy lines '

Those were some well disciplined and loyal pigeons. :lol: That store of yours must have been something to see.

General Apathy

post-344-1278085487.jpg

Those were some well disciplined and loyal pigeons. :lol: That store of yours must have been something to see.

Hi Dennis, only going to show one photo in answer to your question about my store, don't want to overtake the topic here, it was not so much a store as a glory-hole or dump, 99% of what I sold was original stuff and only American WWII, no Brit no Nazi stuff, there was occasionally some bits mixed in when I bought collections but that was the 1%.

Don't know where all my photo's are packed but when I find some other shots I will add them to my ' Reports from Normandy' section and let you know. ;)

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy
Thank you general for the photos ;)

Would you be selling a capsule for pigeon ?

Hi, I don't have any store stock left but should I find an extra one in my own collection I will send you a message, not by pigeon but electronic transfer, sorry to say but it won't be soon, my stuff is in total dis-order, :think: as moderator Johan will testify about.

Cheers Lewis

Johan Willaert
my stuff is in total dis-order, :think: as moderator Johan will testify about.

A famous quote from Jack Palance's 'Attack' comes to mind...

Hey Orderly, that ain't very orderly....!... :crying:

Kenneth, I weep everytime I think that you had that store for so long and I never got a chance to go diving in it!! :crying: Well, Se Le Guerre. I have always said that this item was "For the birds" and here is my pigeon vest that I display quite often, but with an addition. I bought a few pigeon decoys at a gun show and by chopping off the legs of one it fits like a glove in the vest. It leaves no doubt to the casual observer how they were used. I also snapped the two message capsules into the lacing as if they were being kept there for fast access. BTW. International Military Antiques (IMA) had these about 15 years ago in quantity for I believe $19.95 each. Darn it, I should have bought more!! BTW. Rumor has it that these were made by the MaidenForm Bra company during WWII. So I wonder if the pigeons were sized by the bra cup such as 34DD.

Bob

post-299-1278090542.jpg

I just found the receipt from IMA. It is dated 3/11/1997 and the mint pigeon vest cost me $34.95 back then.

Bob

General Apathy
I just found the receipt from IMA. It is dated 3/11/1997 and the mint pigeon vest cost me $34.95 back then.

Bob

Hi Bob, knowing some of what you have shown here on the forum then I think you would have enjoyed some of the unissued stuff that I had in stock, I won't mention how much cheaper my vests were than want you paid. :thumbsup:

Night Ken