"OLD SALTS" early film of the US NAVY of 1915

BOLO

• 2 months later...

I did not know that dungarees were not used as a working uniform around 1915 using those jumper uniforms as a working uniform for dirty work had to be a bummer.Great little film.

Grizzly Adams
I did not know that dungarees were not used as a working uniform around 1915 using those jumper uniforms as a working uniform for dirty work had to be a bummer.Great little film.

Early one, the working uniform was simply the worn out dress uniform. The piping was supposed to be removed, and the collar shortened, but sometimes not.....you know sailors! Later, an undress blue overshirt (the term "jumper" was applied to the dress/undress white garment) was issued along with a undress jumper - both sporting the short collar. By 1915, Overshirts where worn bloused at the waist via a hem and drawstring, and jumpers worn out and loose. Dungarees were also issued to men "requiring" them - mostly black gang (engineering ratings), and never worn topside by anyone! It was the Old Navy! :thumbsup:

I like the demonstration with the big gun that they said was fired electrically and showed them opening the breech and adjusting the elevation, that was an interesting piece.

the large shells used in the big guns cost the Government $970 each and weighed 1400 lbs ea

also showed a short scene with Marines doing their daily PT on deck