WWII NAVAL AVIATOR FLIGHT LOGBOOKS

KASTAUFFER

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Any new Logbooks?

This logbook page is from a copy of Richard H. Best's flightlog. He was the CO of VB-6 at the Battle of Midway. I have worked for years to document as many flights as I can into a database. Dick Best was good enough to send me copies of his flight logbook for Dec 41-Jun 42 several years ago.

post-97069-1344799377.jpg

This logbook page is from a copy of Richard H. Best's flightlog. He was the CO of VB-6 at the Battle of Midway. I have worked for years to document as many flights as I can into a database. Dick Best was good enough to send me copies of his flight logbook for Dec 41-Jun 42 several years ago.

Richard H. Best flightlog for May 1942 (VB-6)

post-97069-1344800192.jpg

• 5 months later...

This is one I hope to get good scans of in the not too distant future (when I can actually have my hands on the original!) He was a pilot in VC Squadron 9 and it was concluded that he failed to return due to ditching after becoming low on fuel (that was his last radio transmission). His remains were never recovered. Here's the last page in his logbook (the rest of the logbook is relatively unexciting...)

H_LOGBOOK.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just spent a good half hour going through this thread....can't believe I missed it before. I'm basically in awe of some of the posts. These are one of my favorite items to collect and look for (only 3 so far, and all of your stuff blows mine out of the water!!), I just feel they tell such a complete story for an individual. Thanks everyone for posting. Amazing collections everyone!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Kurt,

I work for the Naval Air Systems Command. I'm looking into getting some details from those early training floghts once the got to their primary aircraft and the training they did before getting their carrier qualification. They should have done field carrier landing practice with LSO observing. They would have done 8-9 FCLPs per sortie. Just looking to see how many sorties of FCLPs were flown and where. They would have then gone to NAS Glenview and done two FCLPS sorties before being cleared to do their first carrier landing on one of two converted paddle wheel steamers to a flat deck on the Great Lakes. The training carriers would have been the USS Wolverine or the USS Sable. Can you post several pages that include the first CQ landings and the month or two that preceded their first landing on the ship?

Thanks in advance,

Buddy

• 10 months later...

Hi Buddy

I missed your post the first time around. Do you want an example from just a single pilot?

Kurt

• 4 months later...

Pages from the log of Capt Reinhart. He was am advisor to the British in 1941 on PBY's. He was on board one of the PBY's spotted the Bismarck.

He later was the CO of VPB-118.

I have copied paged from the day they spotted the Bismarck and the final days of the war with VPB-118.

R1.JPG

image.png