Suit, Flying, Light, Type L1 / L1-A

Sabrejet

Pictured here are the contract labels from two Type L1 flying suits. The OD version is clearly dated '45. However, I'm not sure about the actual date of the blue L1-A variant. It's obviously post '47, following the establishment of the USAF and from that brief period when they wore blue flightgear before reverting back to green again. Can any of you crack the date code on the label for me please? I'm thinking early 50s. Thanks!

post-8022-1277743714.jpg

Bob Hudson

The blue one is circa 1951-53. There is no date code per se in these labels, but another forum member did some research which showed that USAF contracts beginning with 8310 are from before 1953 and another web site ID's this specific flight suit pattern - MIL-S-5390-A - by Turner, as being from 1951, but they may have made it for a couple of years.

The blue one is circa 1951-53. There is no date code per se in these labels, but another forum member did some research which showed that USAF contracts beginning with 8310 are from before 1953 and another web site ID's this specific flight suit pattern - MIL-S-5390-A - by Turner, as being from 1951, but they may have made it for a couple of years.

Excellent! Thanks FS. That confirms what I suspected.

Ian :thumbsup: