Post Your WWI & WWII American Field Service Adrian Helmets

Bugme

Here's another AFS photo however, the insignia is not clear. But it does show the AFS driver in front of his ambulance wearing an Adrian.

I had this photo digitally enhanced and blown up to 48" x 48" for an exhibit at my museum. The badge on the helmet is a basic French infantry badge... We have an exhibit featuring a Norton-Harjes man from Hamline University, a USAAC man from Sec 514 and another who never made it overseas. These will all be added to our restored Model T Ambulance in a couple of months. Scott

I had this photo digitally enhanced and blown up to 48" x 48" for an exhibit at my museum. The badge on the helmet is a basic French infantry badge... We have an exhibit featuring a Norton-Harjes man from Hamline University, a USAAC man from Sec 514 and another who never made it overseas. These will all be added to our restored Model T Ambulance in a couple of months. Scott

Maybe you could post a photo here when the display is completed. It sounds like it would be pretty awesome!

Here is the unveiling of the uniform/story exhibit. You can see the photo as a backdrop. This was sponsored by a local ambulance service. As I mentioned above, we will be adding a Model T Ambulance to the exhibit as soon as the restoration is complete. There are more pictures available on the Michigan Military Heritage Museum Facebook page. Scott

post-104832-0-42495900-1518724644_thumb.jpg

Here is an interesting photo of Red Cross volunteers in Italy in WWI. Notice that the fellow on the left is wearing an Italian M16 Adrian style helmet and the guy on the right a French M15. Unfortunately the resolution isn't good enough to tell if the M15 has a badge.

One thing to note is that the American Red Cross volunteers were also issued helmets. I wonder if they might have had helmets with the same badge as the AFS volunteers? It would be interesting to know if any ARC/AFS identified Italian M16s have surfaced. Or any ARC helmets either Italian M16s, French M15s, or conceivably British MKIs or American M17s.

Scott pointed out that RT Hanks served with the American Red Cross (ARC) in Italy. This apparent by the written note at the bottom of his AFS record. From this I gather that the AFS and ARC collaborated closely.

Photos from: https://redcrosschat.org/2015/10/09/archives-hemingway-red-cross-italy/

Mark D.

post-12843-0-26885000-1518727869_thumb.jpg

post-12843-0-52199500-1518727883.jpg