Petty Officer Rating Badge Background Colors

ehrentitle

post-2104-1277986575.jpg

Why, yes actually. Not a PR crow, but marked.

Steve Hesson

Yup, those are the recent ones I picked up. I am now wondering if anyone has seen or has a CPO rating with the Leona marking on the reverse side.

And another thing I forgot about, was all of the E-1 through E-3 PR striker ratings. There has to be a small handful of those too.

ehrentitle
And another thing I forgot about, was all of the E-1 through E-3 PR striker ratings. There has to be a small handful of those too.

Here is my small accumulation of PR striker ratings, still a work in progress:

4755418772_fbea329105_o.jpg

Here is my small accumulation of PR striker ratings, still a work in progress:

Thanks for bringing us back on track. I responded to the wrong thread for the RD/OS seaman striker badge.

-dan

ehrentitle
Thanks for bringing us back on track. I responded to the wrong thread for the RD/OS seaman striker badge.

-dan

No problem, I thought I'd missed something subtle when you all made that turn.

ehrentitle

Here is my Coast Guard Aviation Survivalman / Aviation Survival Technician rate, yet another shade of blue:

4761150450_5ea1d9da58.jpg

Here is my Coast Guard Aviation Survivalman / Aviation Survival Technician rate, yet another shade of blue:

4761150450_5ea1d9da58.jpg

This is for the current USCG uniform which is a suit and tie style uniform, and not at all like the USN uniform. The CG shifted to this color and style in 1975 when they adopted a USCG specific uniform and dropped the traditional USN uniforms that they had been wearing. Prior to that, the USCG crows had the same backing as the USN.

Steve Hesson

ehrentitle

Steve - Thanks for the background. Any idea why they use the bursting shell as part of the rating? I've looked up the Coast Guard uniform regulations and there are no other rates that use this bursting shell design. It looks like I've got several other Aviation Survivalman / Aviation Survival Technician Rates to find:

4761339182_3bf8bc28a0_o.jpg

Steve - Thanks for the background. Any idea why they use the bursting shell as part of the rating? I've looked up the Coast Guard uniform regulations and there are no other rates that use this bursting shell design. It looks like I've got several other Aviation Survivalman / Aviation Survival Technician Rates to find:

4761339182_3bf8bc28a0_o.jpg

Not a clue, but it is a different job than the Navy PR. The CG has a few rates that are different from the Navy, but then, the CG has a different job than the Navy. I'm sure there's a Coastie around who might be able to answere you. But, I do wish we still had the cool looking rating badges like they do.

Steve Hesson

ehrentitle
Not a clue, but it is a different job than the Navy PR. The CG has a few rates that are different from the Navy, but then, the CG has a different job than the Navy. I'm sure there's a Coastie around who might be able to answere you. But, I do wish we still had the cool looking rating badges like they do.

Steve Hesson

Yup, looks like they kept the original crow as opposed to the one that the Navy is using now.

PatchMeThru
Why, yes actually. Not a PR crow, but marked.

Steve Hesson

Thanks Steve for the scan, but I was specifically inquiring to a Liona made PR Chief Petty Officer rating (Red on Blue with Cheesecloth) where the little diamond on the bottom of the parachute is "hollow" instead of fully embroidered. I have not seen one or been able to locate any information if they made one or not. Even though the hollow tip PR's are scarce (i.e. the E4 through E6 ones), I think the E7 rating badge for the most part is unheard of.

So on that note....does anyone actually have one? If yes, can you please upload a scan of the reverse side of it?