Admiral Mullen's DCU

gunbarrel

On his trip to the Middle East this weekend, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mullen wore his DCU. Here he is shaking hands with the Israel Defense Force Chief of the General Staff, Lt. Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi. Aren't DCU's obsolete? Just wondering why he wouldn't be wearing the latest uniform. :think:

post-70-1277689612.jpg

http://dover.idf.il/IDF/English/News/today/10/06/2705.htm

SEABEEBRIAN

Our command still issues them to sailors who are being sent over on IA missions if they are not assigned to an Army unit and wearing ACU's.

Some Navy units still wear the woodland camo and the green jungle boots: a few months ago I ran into a sailor at a San Diego store wearing those items and it turned out he was with a Special Boat Team I believe it was.

The Navy is still using what are refered to as "Legasey" cammies. They were working on some digital patterns but the Marines decided they looked too much like Marine pattern and did not want "Regular Sailors" being confused with Marines. That is from Navy Times.

Steve Hesson

Those are the standard-issue DCUs that are issued to Navy forces. If there's an experimental uniform, ADM Mullen would be the first one wearing it...he's still one of a handful of people wearing the new four-pocket kakhi uniform...

Dave

P.S. From reading the title, I automatically assumed that fellow forum member "jason_w" had gotten Mullen's uniforms too.... :lol::lol:

I remember standing in line at the PX in Fort Jackson, SC a couple of months ago and behind me were three sailors all in different uniforms. One was wearing BDUs, another DCUs and the third was wearing the new Naval Working Uniform (NWU). I asked one why they had different uniforms and he said they were deploying to different locations that had different uniform requirements.

Those are the standard-issue DCUs that are issued to Navy forces. If there's an experimental uniform, ADM Mullen would be the first one wearing it...he's still one of a handful of people wearing the new four-pocket kakhi uniform...

Dave

P.S. From reading the title, I automatically assumed that fellow forum member "jason_w" had gotten Mullen's uniforms too.... :lol::lol:

Dave, about halfway down the page is the section on cammies, including the experimental versions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniforms_of_t...ted_States_Navy I know it is wikipedia and therefore, not solid, but I read the same thing in the Navy Inquierer (Navy Times). I thought it was pretty stupid considering historically, Sailors ashore in "Theater" have worn MC or Army clothing since before WW1. The Sea Bees and Copsmen serving with Marines even wore EGAs. Any way, there it is.

Steve Hesson

On his trip to the Middle East this weekend, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mullen wore his DCU. Here he is shaking hands with the Israel Defense Force Chief of the General Staff, Lt. Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi. Aren't DCU's obsolete? Just wondering why he wouldn't be wearing the latest uniform. :think:

DCU's and BDU's are not obsolete in the Navy. They are still authorized and are the Navy's only "field" uniform unless personnel are attached/assigned to Marine or Army units/commands, in which case they are authorized to wear those services uniforms.

Here is ADM Mullen wearing the Navy's new working uniform:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thejointstaff/4722266906/

• 4 weeks later...
Some Navy units still wear the woodland camo and the green jungle boots: a few months ago I ran into a sailor at a San Diego store wearing those items and it turned out he was with a Special Boat Team I believe it was.

Yes, the SBU's still wear the woodland camo's. At least they did the last time (2008) that I went to the SEAL Muster in Ft. Pierce.

giconceptsjw

post-70-1277689612.jpg

http://dover.idf.il/IDF/English/News/today/10/06/2705.htm

I think it's amazing a high ranking American military commander would attend a meeting with a foreign military commander wearing a field uniform like that. The DCU uniform is what E-1's wear while scrubbing out garbage cans and picking weeds. Is it really that hard to wear whites or khakis for a VIP meeting? I guess maybe it's just a sign of the times. Today we see people going to Wal-Mart in their underwear or pajamas and even wearing shorts & flip-flops to a wedding. Back in the good old days, no one could leave a military post without wearing a class A or B uniform. I really think it should still be like that as a matter of pride and respect.

I think it's amazing a high ranking American military commander would attend a meeting with a foreign military commander wearing a field uniform like that. The DCU uniform is what E-1's wear while scrubbing out garbage cans and picking weeds. Is it really that hard to wear whites or khakis for a VIP meeting? I guess maybe it's just a sign of the times. Today we see people going to Wal-Mart in their underwear or pajamas and even wearing shorts & flip-flops to a wedding. Back in the good old days, no one could leave a military post without wearing a class A or B uniform. I really think it should still be like that as a matter of pride and respect.

This is supposed to reinforce the expeditionary/operational/combat mindset that shows the US is at war. And no, I'm not making that up, I've heard it said many times before by senior leadership. I attended the retirement ceremony several years ago of a BG, held at the Officer's club....and several senior officers attended wearing BDU's. Tacky, very tacky.

I think it's amazing a high ranking American military commander would attend a meeting with a foreign military commander wearing a field uniform like that.

I had the exact same thought when I saw this picture. But then I see soldiers in the airports traveling in PT gear, so I guess this is a step up.