WW2 era Jump Jacket

Tonomachi

July 25, 2007

Hello,

After reading all of the great finds you folks have come across at flea markets I decided to share one of my best finds a number of years ago. I bought this WW2 era jump jacket for $8.00 at a local flea market. The shoulder sleeve patch was missing but I found a name stamped on the inside (Roy F. Anderson). I check the local telephone directory and found this same name with an address in a near by town. I decided to go over for a visit and a women answered the front door. After explaining the reasons for my visit she got a little scared and asked me not to tell her husband that she had given his stuff away at Goodwill. She invited me in to speak with Roy who had just suffered a stroke. Due to the stroke Roy didn't seem to understand what I was saying but I did find out that he was a member of the 3rd Bn, 504th PIR, 82nd Abn Div due to having been wounded during the Waal Canal Crossing in Holland. I couldn't believe I was with a member of this unit that had made this famous crossing that I remember seeing in the movie "A Bridge Too Far". Would you believe they had never seen the movie. The wife tried to give me her husband's Ike jacket with all of the ribbons, jump wing and the like but I felt bad even though I was actually there to find more things for my collection. It just didn't seem right so I turned her down and told her that this needs to stay in her family. Roy died a month later.

Dennis

post-1389-1185401705.jpg

post-1389-1185401720.jpg

CNY Militaria

The word "WOW!!!!" comes to mind! Thats great you were able to meet him before he passed away. I am sure you will cherish this forever!

Welcome to the forum!

Justin

PS: You did the right ting trying to keep the jacket in the family (some collectors would have taken it and ran!). Hopefully someone down the line will hold a place for it in their home and not just sell it on ebay or goive it to the goodwill. I would have kept their contact info just in case... some vets want to give their items to collectors who will remember them rather than relatives who will sell for the money aspect.

Dennis,

Great story...great jacket...great first post. And an honest man, to boot. thumbsup.gif Welcome to the Forum!

I am not an airborne collector, but all I can say is HOLY MOLY w00t.gif . That looks like a legit reinforced M-42. It is considered one of the " holy grails " of airborne collecting.

Kurt

That was an amazing find! Thank you for your post. It looks very much like my reinforced 504th PIR jacket. However, mine cost quite a bit more than $8.00!!!!

Again, great post and wonderful story. Thanks for sharing!

---Chris