Men in War

George

Turner Classic Movies showed the Korean War classic "Men in War" this past week. It is one of my favorite war movies. I noticed something I had not payed attention to before, Lt Benson played by Robert Ryan and the Colonel played by Robert Keith are both wearing Combat Infantryman Badges with the second award star. ?Is this possible for September 1950, the time period depicted in the movie?

Turner Classic Movies showed the Korean War classic "Men in War" this past week. It is one of my favorite war movies. I noticed something I had not payed attention to before, Lt Benson played by Robert Ryan and the Colonel played by Robert Keith are both wearing Combat Infantryman Badges with the second award star. ?Is this possible for September 1950, the time period depicted in the movie?

Hello George...long time, no see! That's a very good point. I'm not sure they would've been eligible at that early date....but it's Hollywood, not real life! No doubt some learned member will comment upon this?!

Ian :thumbsup:

Ian, I agree with you. What I would like to know is, ?when was the 2nd Award actually authorized? ?Does anyone know when the 2nd Award was first given? One thought, in the case of the old Colonel, could a 2nd Award have be awarded retroactive for WWI and WWII?

?when was the 2nd Award actually authorized?

"On 8 February 1952, the Chief of Staff, Army, approved a proposal to add stars to the Combat Infantryman Badge to indicate award of the badge in separate wars. Under this change in policy, the badge was no longer limited to a one-time award, but could now be awarded to eligible individuals for each war in which they participated." Source TIOH (link here).

• 2 years later...