USAAF Leather Flight Jacket Or What ??

summersdogs

summersdogs

Hello to all. I am a new member, and this is my first question. My husband and I have tried in vain to ID this leather jacket that we acquired along with some USAAF items (D1A flying trousers, Type D leather overalls, and A6 flyers boots). Neither of us are collectors so we've been relying on reference material and Google. This jacket just doesn't seem to match up with anything we have found so far.

There is no label. The zipper, which is missing the toggle, is marked on the back "Italy". That's about it. We've pretty much decided that it isn't U.S. But then, we really have no clue. Here are three photos (I hope). Any help be greatly appreciated. Please don't point and snicker.

Lynn

post-1405-1185400176.jpg

post-1405-1185400242.jpg

post-1405-1185400263.jpg

Please don't point and snicker.

We don't do that here....

I wonder if this is a civilian jacket "inspired" by WWII sheepskin jackets: it doesn't seem to match any US, RAF, or German jackets that I can find. Those pockets for sure are pretty distinctive and the ITALY zipper suggest modern manufacture although it could be a replacement.

My guess it is a theatre taylor made piece. Made special order in a local Italian taylor shop for one of our airmen who couldn't get an official jacket at that time. Just a wild guess.

Blademan

I do not believe "ITALY" was stamped on zippers until after WWII. This looks like a jacket produced as a reproduction. Just my Opinion!

I think a WWII zipper would have said ITALIA, if anything.

Condtion should be some indicator of age. I have heard that a lot of the WWII jackets and pants of this type are beginning to fall apart and/or getting very stiff.

summersdogs

You folks are quick ! Thanks so much for the responses. My husband thought the jacket might be theatre-made but the "Italy" (rather than "Italia") zipper threw him too. As Admnin indicated in his reply, the leather IS stiffer and shedding more than the 2 pair of US-issue pants that were also in the grouping.

Lynn

I'm wondering if it's not a postwar 'souvineer' piece sold by some enterprising Italian store owner, for the soldier trade in some place like Naples. That would be my first guess. These things were very popular with civilians after the war, and it could easily have been sent home during the occupation.