M1917 Gas Mask - Large Size 4 Wide

SammyT

I recently purchased this gas mask with a WWI us helmet. I am assuming this gas mask is WWI but not sure. The cannister reads "CANCO" and "224XJ". Other than these markings I don't see any dates. Can I get your opinion on this piece? Looking for WWI confirmation as well as value. Thanks.

SammyT.

post-12695-1277572630.jpg

post-12695-1277572636.jpg

post-12695-1277572643.jpg

New Romantic

WW I US masks is one of my favorite collecting areas. The mask you have is actually a very late version of the Corrected English Mask. You could call it an SBR which was the British Mask, but the US issue mask was "Corrected English Model." The www.gasmasks.net site is my favorite source for info but you need to look at the US mask page 1 to see the US masks. The link provided by Boltaction shows you the British masks which the US mask design was based off of.

There are many variations of the Corrected English Model and so far I've think I've seen around 8-10. That would be variations in lenses, hoses, head harness, flutter valve guard, and can. Your mask is what I consider a transition between the Corrected English Mask and Richard Flory Kops. Look at the stitching on the face seal. That's a late improvement to the US masks. Earlier masks used glue on the face seal. I had a mask like yours about a year ago but it had a cream colored hose and yellow cannister.

BigJohn#3RD

I concur it is WWI and Thanks for the information Frankie; I learn something new here every day.

Regards,

John

Frankie:

Thanks for the correction. Wasn't the first attempt at copying the English SBR by the US basically a failure?

I always heard that is where the "Corrected" part of the name originated; the first try didn't work. My understanding is that the corrected US models didn't begin to reach France until about June 1918, just months before the war was over.

Thanks,

Bolt

New Romantic
Frankie:

Thanks for the correction. Wasn't the first attempt at copying the English SBR by the US basically a failure?

I always heard that is where the "Corrected" part of the name originated; the first try didn't work. My understanding is that the corrected US models didn't begin to reach France until about June 1918, just months before the war was over.

Thanks,

Bolt

Yes the original US mask, which is known as the American Box Respirator was the failed mask. It's been awhile since I read up why the mask was a failure. But I've since forgotten the details. I had one of these in the past and I do remember that attaching the lenses to the mask was identical to the British method- using a twine around the lenses frame. I also think the nose clips were closer to the British Mask than the later American masks.

I was going to post a detailed article on masks here but my computer crashed last month I I lost all the photos I had saved, mostly of the rare later/ experimental masks. That was from period photos and eBay auctions

Great info Frankie! I learned alot about this gas mask in the short time i've had it. Thanks for your expertise!

Sammyt.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.