Mitchell Cover Contract List

kklinejr

Or Dry Rot, I got a Sateen Cover once, thought I could rescue it with the old QM type Zig Zag back in forth machine stitching on the tears, which were a few here and there on the cover, but it was a no go, just to brittle with dry rot.

its on a vietnam pot all original, but it tends to tear from simple things like you can mess with it and let people look at it and touch it with no problem then out of no where you slightly grab the helmet and it tears especially on the foliage slits and in between the 2 side tongues that go around the bails ive dealt with covers before but none have reacted like this before

post-125364-0-14020300-1390939471.jpg

It looks very nice. But it is likely a combination of age and storage which have rendered it brittle. Unfortunately there is no way to prevent it except to handle it as little as possible.

RC

i think so i have a 1981 woodland cover which looks like its been to hell and back (was issued) and when i got it it had been sewn back together and i wasnt sure about it with this mitchell cover because its a different feeling when it tears if that makes sense

online you cant find them for less than $25 i got this one for $10 at a military vehicle show but it only happens once a year other than that i cant find any local

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

What was the "Wear Out Date for the Mitchell cover? I remember seeing them worn in the field at Hood in 85-86.

I don't think there ever was a wear out date, like you I seen them too, at Benning, Hood and Wainwright early 80- late 82, and I'm sure everyone else who was in the Army in those days, AF and Marines too I,m thinking as well.

• 2 years later...

Yes, it would be interesting to see the whole cover please. The D.P.S.C. name was in service from 1965-1998 so it would fall in line for 1979 if read that way. If anyone can confirm that is the way these contract numbers are truly read I would be interested in knowing as it may very well change some thoughts in other areas as well.

Hi...normally what happens is the services awards contract for initial (newly designed) clothing and then they realize its too much trouble managing contracts so they pass the management of the NSN to DLA. This label looks off ...Defense Personnel Support Center normally has contracts beginning with DSA100 or DLA100 and now SPM and SPE...and as stated a white cloth label compared to an ink stamp...but I could be wrong because many were made but the label just looks off.

Thanks for the info, very interesting. Since the label may be off for a standard production contract my next question is as this would appear to might be from 1979 for any with knowledge...

With the “M-81 Woodland” being adopted in 1981 and it being essentially the ERDL Camo with the patterns enlarged during the later 1970’s, could this have been an early run of the new pattern under a limited contract with low volume numbers of uniforms and helmet covers made through D.P.S.C. for field trials or simulation testing possibly?

• 2 years later...

Hi, I'm a bit new to understanding and dating mitchell covers, I got one in my collection dated 77, I've not really seen many others dated as such.. was 1977 the end of production for mitchell pattern helmet covers? 

Thanks in advance 

Thought I'd show it, From what I've seen online 77 was the last produced lot that was tagged.. *again I'm new*

182115894_1153297201762105_2485103315836622576_n.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone know where to find the supposed book 'Nam Steel by kklinejr? I'm starting to think that it ain't real. But he quoted his own book, and it had a fairly comprehensive list of cover contracts.