Enigma Medical rank solved?

greensquid68-69

greensquid68-69

This rank was being discussed here on the site once. I had this one on ebay recently under WW2 US military. I got some feedback it is actually from Central or South America about 20-25 years old. I took it off ebay quickly!

Doc

EDIT: Picture lost

greensquid68-69
Thanks for posting that update.

No prob Craig- I'm glad that mystery is solved. I know a few of us thought it was WW1 or a freak Navy/USMC version.

Is this based on an anonymous e-mail from someone on e-Bay or is there some sort is reference that can be checked? No offense but self appointed experts that cruse e-Bay looking for mistakes are not the most reliable source of information.

greensquid68-69
Is this based on an anonymous e-mail from someone on e-Bay or is there some sort is reference that can be checked? No offense but self appointed experts that cruse e-Bay looking for mistakes are not the most reliable source of information.

I hear you on that - email me at [email protected] & I'll send you the persons note & email address & you can ask him where he got his info.

The Latin American connection certinaly sounds plausable as in years past, many of those countries have been heavily infulenced by American insignia design and a lot of their insignia has been American made. Hope you can get a confirmation as to what country actually used this piece.

greensquid68-69

The Latin American connection certinaly sounds plausable as in years past, many of those countries have been heavily infulenced by American insignia design and a lot of their insignia has been American made. Hope you can get a confirmation as to what country actually used this piece.

Lesson learned - If I haven't seen it, tasted it etc = don't write it, unless the data is indisputable! The guy's rap made sense to me as I had never seen that patch on any US medical uniform & I've been looking at & researching them for years. Nor any expert in the field I've contacted. It's construction seems too new for WW1 or 2 - the few I've seen are all clean & nice.

So I have sent a note to the fella & asked for some type of proof for what he said. If I can't get it - then this topic is moot.

Lesson learned. My apologies!

Doc

A search thru the rank insignia for the Latin American countries on www.uniforminsignia.net didn't turn up this Medical Sergeant. BUT.... it looks like it could have been used by Guatemala or perhaps Panama as they use Army chevrons very similar in design to the U.S. Army. Of course, this chevron you have could have very well been an obsolete piece from any country and there is no online or printed reference that would identify it.

Most of the South American countries have their own rank insignia designs and the Carribean nations primarily use designs based on the British system.

Lets also don't count out a U.S. state guard possibility, or military school.

This is one that will drive a chevron collector nuts. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
greensquid68-69

A search thru the rank insignia for the Latin American countries on www.uniforminsignia.net didn't turn up this Medical Sergeant. BUT.... it looks like it could have been used by Guatemala or perhaps Panama as they use Army chevrons very similar in design to the U.S. Army. Of course, this chevron you have could have very well been an obsolete piece from any country and there is no online or printed reference that would identify it.

Most of the South American countries have their own rank insignia designs and the Carribean nations primarily use designs based on the British system.

Lets also don't count out a U.S. state guard possibility, or military school.

This is one that will drive a chevron collector nuts. :unsure:

Thank you for investigating Lee. Yep - I think this one stays in the ? arena. I did contact the person that I got the feedback from on ebay - he seems like a straight up person & does military research etc - but even he confessed he got his info from a dealer 15 years ago - so maybe we got close...but no cofirmed yet.