Proper way to wear the fourragére?

siege1863

What is the proper way of wearing the fourragére with the two secondary cords? One source says this style was not authorized, but there are plenty of examples out there. I have seen period images of men wearing the braided part under the armpit, as it should be, with the two cords over the arm. I have also seen the braid and both cords under the arm. In one odd photo the man is wearing one cord under the arm and one over! What is correct?

Hi,

For me are news citations.

One example:

picture094xt0.jpg

picture095op7.jpg

Same unit (3rd Infantry Division) - Audie Leon Murphy:

AudieMurphyAwarded.jpg

am1952.jpg

...but....I have another 3rd Inf Div jacket with normal fourragére:

3rddivtunicnn5.jpg

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Hi,

I found in a French site:

fourrageww9.jpg

-Les qualificatifs manquent pour désigner la "variante fantaisie" d' une fourragére ...n' existant pas officiellement ! Cette dernière sera néanmoins régulièrement portée en tenue de sortie.

Poor translate: "The qualifiers miss to officially indicate the "alternative fantasy" of a fourragére... not existing! The latter nevertheless will be regularly carried in walking-out dress."

Font: http://www.hemaridron.com/twodescphotos50.html

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Greg Sebring

I've posted this several time before. I was told the by a very informed individual that the trefoil on the right shoulder is supposed to stand up and call attention to the award. One thing is for sure, if there ever was a specific way to wear it, no one listened as evidenced by all the variations we see today.

as an added note...I was also told the two cords to the outside were an officers version. My dad was an NCO so maybe that theory is shot down... unless whoever handed them out didn't know or give a rat's rear end.

post-118-1185392558.jpg

Greg

In other threads I posted the portrait of Mr. Samuelson in his uniform. He is clearly wearing the "double-cord" type on each shoulder and I have the originals. Unfortunately, the photo is cropped in such a way we cannot see all details. However, it appears he is wearing at least one cord over the arm.

Mr. Samuelson was a sgt. assigned to battalion headquarters. I suspect he would have been very careful about uniform regulations. If I remember correctly, it was not the number of cords that denoted officer, but rather the material used in the construction.