Beret Flash and Beret ID

bayonetman

Hate to bother the experts, but I would like to ask a couple of quick questions.

1. On the red beret, what is the flash and what time period?

2. On the black beret, was the flash worn over the left eye, or centered, or how? This one I know to be Vietnam period as I have information on it direct from the vet, who received the Navy Achievement Medal for his service as a gunner on Armored Troop Carrier 131-3, River Assault Squadron 13, 1968-69.

BERETS.jpg

Gary

Your maroon beret is for the HHC 18th Airborne Corps.Time period could be from when the beret was authorized until now.Any date in the liner??

The black beret if Vietnamese made were intended to be worn to the side.I think they reffer to this as "cocks comb".Like the comb on a rooster

More to the right side and past the eye.But hard telling how it actually worn from one individual to the next.

RON

Ron, thanks for the IDs. Unfortunately the inside of the maroon beret does not have any visible markings. However, these insignia came with the beret (bought years ago at a flea market, seller had no clue about it) so they look like they would be correct with it.

18Insignia.jpg

I found a photocopy of a group photo of Seaman Kidd's unit that shows how the black beret was worn. Horrible quality, but shows them wearing pretty much as you described.

13th.jpg

Whatever maker labels that were in the black beret are gone. You can see the thread pattern, but nothing else.

13thInside.jpg

Bayonetman, I hope you didn't purchase the 13 beret yet. I was in RAS 13 and we didn't wear black berets, they were camo and that patch does not look right either.

Can we see a close-up of the patch? No comment from me on the beret though...The burlap interior looks like it might be OK, but I am not too hot on the sweat band...And I am no expert on berets. But I might can help on the patch. I do not know one way or the other about what beret the patch was worn on, but most River Patrol units had black berets, except RS 13 seems to be the exception. Here is one we posted earlier which after some debate seems to be a good and right piece.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...ver+squadron+13

River Patrol probably probably needs to write on here.

Hunter

Black berets were worn by guys on the pbr's (Patrol Boat River) they were made of wool if I remember correctly and their River Divisions were numbered in the 500's like 515, 593 Etc.. We patrolled together but they were seperate units. PBR sailors all wore black berets and they were all in River Patrol Force - TF 116.

"

River Assault squadron 9, 11, 13 & 15 were in Task Force 117 of the "Mobile Riverine Force. These were called the "HEAVYS" as they were Ironclad. They all wore what I am finding out through my research for one to buy was Lowland pattern camo. I am trying to get a picture of mine sent to me as I am out of town right now and can't take one of it. I will post it if i can.

hope this helps

All Bull, I looked at the site you posted as reference and don't get me wrong but while there are many many patterns of camo used in vietnam in different areas that one dosn't ring a bell either.

There was tiger stripe camo used in riverine uniforms before I was in country"pre 69/70" but that does not appear to be Tiger. I guess what I am saying is I personally never saw that design while I was there on the boats.

a few reasons.

1. If it was an original and worn by someone that was on the boats for more than a week the draw would have been cut. After you got into your first fire fight it was a right of passage to cut the black draw on the back. kind of like "Poppin your Cherry". this one is not.

2. the patch is very different from mine in that it was cheaply made BUT there were many people just trying to scratch out a living there and I would have no doubt that there were many unauthorized patches floating around. The berets and patches were handed down from the command post in Dong Tam when you reported to your boat.

I'm just sayin

Steve RAS 13 A-7

This is getting interesting, thanks to all. My knowledge of this area is as close to zero as can be had, so I welcome any and all comments about this Vietnam beret.

A little background on it might be in order. In the late 1980s a man came into the store where I was working and said that he heard that I was interested in militaria. He gave me the beret and copies of some of his records, stating that his wife had told him to get rid of it and he wasn't all that thrilled with it either as his memories of his service were not too good. I took it, he said he was glad it would get a good home, and I have never seen him since.

His name is Seaman Steven Merrill Kidd. His citation for the Navy Achievement Medal with Combat V states in part: " For Meritorious Service while serving with United States Forces in riverine assault operations against the Viet Cong communist aggressors in the Republic of Vietnam. During the period May 1968 to May 1969, Seaman KIDD served as Gunner on board Armored Troop Carrier 131-3, a unit of River Assault Squadron THIRTEEN engaged in support operations with elements of the Second Brigade, Ninth Infantry Division, United States Army. ....."

I have included several photos of the beret for your comments. Due to the way I got it, it is NOT FOR SALE.

13th.jpg

13thInside.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

Far be it from me to step on anyones grave and I hope that the beret is original. At that time river sailors were a raggety group of guys that had no uniform to speak of, Hell, only way to recognize a river sailor was that he was not in a uniform. The uniform of the day was no shirt, cutoffs and shower shoes liberally doused with bug repellant. I DO remember the draw cutting ceremonies and the beer flowing after someones first fire fight.

My Brother sent me a picture of my Beret and I hope I can get it posted. This is a fairly complex board but I think I have found what I have been looking for and I appreciate all the help given. There is a T O N of great information and while I have been on for only a short time you guys have some really super collections. Great hobby.

post-12637-1277777637.jpg

post-12637-1277777567.jpg

double posted huh?

Well, If anyone is interested or would like to take a tour on the Rivers here are a few sites you should like.

http://www.rivervet.com (turn up the volume)

http://www.riverinesailor.com

http://www.mrfa.org

also, here is the Mobile Riverine Force Association page with views of original patches of the time.

http://www.mrfa.org/pdf/Products.Catalog6.10.pdf

As for me, my journey is ongoing.

Thanks Again

Steve RAS 13 A-7