WWI Enlisted Army with USN Airship wings.

rustywings

I was able to safely remove the photo of the enlisted soldier from the confines of the cardboard sleeve. Unfortunately, the back of the photo is blank and has nothing more to offer in identifying the Airship Pilot. I'll research the internet for other possible images of Olin C. Brown in uniform.

Russ

Here's an image of Olin C. Brown (far right) with other Navy Airship personnel. Looks like he's wearing an enlisted U.S. Army shirt. Can't quite make out the headgear. Possibly a leather billed cap? And appears to be wearing non-static boots. Do you think Olin C. Brown and the enlisted pilot portrayed in my studio photograph are one-in-the same?

IMG_1431_crop.jpg

Here's an image of Olin C. Brown (far right) with other Navy Airship personnel. Looks like he's wearing an enlisted U.S. Army shirt. Can't quite make out the headgear. Possibly a leather billed cap? And appears to be wearing non-static boots. Do you think Olin C. Brown and the enlisted pilot portrayed in my studio photograph are one-in-the same?

Hey Russ

I do, I think they are the same fellow.

P

Dave and Patrick,

Thank you for your input. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and insight. Here's a couple of more 1920's related Airship pins.

IMG_1436_crop.jpg

This little 5/8th inch airship pin was initially attached to a WWI Victory Medal. If you look closely, the tail has red, white and blue colored inlaid enamel stripes.

IMG_1442_crop.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...
5thwingmarty

A while back I started going through the old Army Registers to try and build a database of Army officers that had earned aviation ratings.  Since Olin C. Brown was not an officer, he wasn't listed but I did note one officer whose training history included Naval Airship training.  Orvil A. Anderson was listed as having attended the Balloon and Airship School in 1920, an Air Service Advanced Flying School Observer Course in 1925, and the Navy Ground Course for Rigid Airships in 1924.  So it would appear there was some cross training between services without having to actually transfer between services.