E - Coast Artillery Corps - with bars

EmeraldBat

I found elsewhere that the "E" denotes Excellence of the Coast Artillery Corps, rescinded in 1947. It looks like these would be worn 2 inches above the cuff on the right sleeve or on the left pocket of the shirt.

Is that all correct?

And what are these designations called? Not a rating specialty?

What does it mean when there are 2 bars above the E? Is that the rating insignia for a Seaman Apprentice?

Thanks for your help!

post-7825-1277406952.jpg

Salvage Sailor

That looks like a USN "E" with hashmarks for additional awards.

They were worn on the uniform cuff pre-1976 when attached to ships that had won the Battle Efficiency Award

flyer333555

That is not the Coast Artillery E but the one below is.

Maybe it is a different US Navy insignia altogether.

post-7768-1277410762.jpg

Luis Ramos

Salvage Sailor
Wow - was I wrong! It will be interesting to learn what the hash marks mean!

It's a USN Battle E - Three awards, one denoted by the "E", two more for the hashmarks

It's a USN Battle E - Three awards, one denoted by the "E", two more for the hashmarks

Does that mean they would have been on a ship that won three Battle Efficiency Awards?

Thanks!

Joy

flyer333555
They were worn on the uniform cuff pre-1976 when attached to ships that had won the Battle Efficiency Award

Joy-

That is how I read Salvage Sailor's message. A ship receiving three awards, sailors would have one "E" while the two other awards were represented by the hash marks.

Luis R.

• 3 years later...

I found elsewhere that the "E" denotes Excellence of the Coast Artillery Corps, rescinded in 1947. It looks like these would be worn 2 inches above the cuff on the right sleeve or on the left pocket of the shirt.

Is that all correct?

And what are these designations called? Not a rating specialty?

What does it mean when there are 2 bars above the E? Is that the rating insignia for a Seaman Apprentice?

Thanks for your help!

These are upside down. The hashmarks should be below the "E". Straight bars were worn from 18 January 1938 to 17 December 1957. Slanted hashmarks from 18 December 1957 until the cloth "E" was replaced by a ribbon in 1976. Interestingly enough, you can only indicate 4 awards of the Battle E with the new ribbon. The first award ribbon includes one silver E. 4 awards is indicated by an E in a wreath, all in silver. Once you have that, that's all you're allowed, regardless of how many you actually were awarded. I believe only operating forces are eligible. IE, ships and aircraft squadrons. Also, different ship types don't compete against each other. Carrier vs carrier and support type ships against each other. You would have to check navy regs to get the current requirements.

Additionally, these patches were not worn on the cuff, but upper right sleeve, forward of the crease, below the rating badge if worn

Here is a picture showing what Steve has said. This guy was on the USS Nevada pre ww2.

post-2501-0-04253100-1386890697.jpg

Jason