1968 Lightweight Ruck and Frame....

pzjgr

Sometimes I hate gunshows....I stumbled upon this from a friend yesterday at a local show...Happy Fathers Day! For $75 I wasn't going to say no...I know how hard these are to find. It seems in pretty good and complete shape, the biggest thing it seems to be missing is the lower back support strap...so I will need to find one of those.

It is missing the waist strap too, but from doing some research here, I guess they were usually discarded anyway...it came with a web era pistol belt with an LC-1 canvas pouch attached.

I wasn't going to open another can of worms, but since I have a nice Vietnam issue helmet complete, and this 1968 dated M-72, I guess I will have to put together a late war Vietnam set-up.....

A couple of questions, thanks to the posted manual and other threads, I think I will strip it down, and re-assemble it making sure its proper. Is there anywhere I can find a lower support strap, or just lucking into one on eBay the best bet?

How were items like a LAW tube attached, specific straps? Tied on with paracord? I assume like it was for us in the early 90's (and even moreso now!) there was the "book" method of stowing stuff, then there was the field way, that is whatever worked for you?

Also, there is a name stencilled on it....looks like SP BULTER to me....any chance of researching a name?

post-2803-1277167190.jpg

Nice Ruck for that price...well done

As for parts/straps for it you do seem to be missing a few.One important thing to remember is that although you have a 68 dated bag the frame could be one of 4 different types that had different strap setups.Some of these can be obtained from an E-Bay store,can't remember its name just now,but just type in lightwieght rucksack in the vietnam section of militaria and they should be listed toward the bottom of the page/pages depending on how many are for sale.

Try typing in a search on this forum for the leightweight ruck and see what appears.

Hope thats helped

Kev

craig_pickrall

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=12287

This is the link to the manual and 3 of the assembly instruction sheets for these packs. The first version of this pack dates to 1962.

One strap that I noticed you are missing is the lower quick release for the left side.

pzjgr-As far as the LAW goes, put it horizontal under the top flap, or top straps and tighten it up. You'll need a load in the ruck to keep it stable. SKIP

Thanks for the replies guys...

Craig, I am not sure what you meant by lower quick release...the left shoulder strap does have a quick release, just like on our large ALICE packs...I did print out the manual, so I will study that to see if you mean something else...

I have searched this forum for lightweight rucksacks, and looked at the threads, so I picked up a lot from them.

The frame is riveted, and is equipped for the middle back support strap, which is of course missing, as is the lower support strap. It also appears to be set-up for three vertical cargo straps, which are missing, but I will have to study the TM to see what goes where...

I took it apart today, and got some new pics, now I will set it up following the TM...and start looking for the missing stuff..

Also, what does the cinch string around the mouth look like? Mine is missing...on the ALICE packs it was like paracord with a plastic "zipper" type dealy to tighten it down...were these simliar?

post-2803-1277247705.jpg

craig_pickrall

You are okay on the quick release. It didn't look right to me on the pic you had in post #2.

Once you know what the missing straps look like and what you need you may have some luck finding them in junk boxes of straps at surplus stores.

The 550 paracord is a good substitute for the issue draw string. Just tie a knot in the end.