EGA with Provenance

bobgee

I'm posting pics of 2 emblems that I have a reasonable history on the Marine who owned them. His name was Seth Hanigan and he enlisted for the duration of the war on 2 January 1918. He made it to France as a replacement and was assigned to 49th Co, 5th Marines. He was recommended for a Distinguished Service MEDAL at Blanc Mont but received a Silver Citation Star. He won a Croix de Guerre at Blanc Mont. He was wounded on July 18, 1918 at Soissons. He received Victory Medal w/ clasps Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne and Defensive Sector. He served on the March to the Rhine and was selected to serve in Pershing's Honor Guard in the Composite Regiment. (I have posted pics of his helmet in that section.) He came home and was honorably discharged on September 25, 1918. I'm telling all this because I have all of his medals and memorabilia which surfaced in CA in 1999, when I acquired it at the last GW Show in Las Vegas. There were the 2 service EGAs, a pair of USMC disks, shoulder patch, buttons from a tunic and overcoat, his original 1919 ribbon bar with Victory and CdG, dog tags and numerous Original documents.The pictures follow:

Hanigan_PinBack_obv.JPG Hanigan_Pinback_REV.JPG

Edited title this date per request from Bobgee

The pic does not do this pinback EGA justice. It is well-worn and grungy. It has seen serious use. The reverse is so cruddy it almost looks cast but it's not. The wire 'c' catch is bent and the pin is gone as if it were lost or removed, not broken. The pin location is very close to that on the gilt emblem. So.....what do you think?

Semper Fi!.....Bob

P.S. 09-02-08 - Subsequent postings and examination of this bird have revealed that it is indeed a "cast" piece. Check out that other thread which has some of "Belleauwood"'s great EGAs and the "mystery" question of who made them and where they were produced.

S/F....Bobgee

teufelhunde.ret

WHAT HISTORY w00t.gif The trenched emblem is just dripping with tradition. You have the makings of a superb display. Hope you'll have the time to get these pic's in the reference section. This thread will likely get lost and hard to find someday. Thank you for sharing thumbsup.gif

jeremiahcable

Nope, looks like Gary used his moderator powers for good and pinned it. That is one heck of an emblem Bob, I am sure Gary is having fits over it right now.

Jeremiah

• 1 year later...