USMC P44 Camo Uniform, Yard Sale find

Old Marine

I was on my way to the big box store for the boring monthly household resupply trip and I passed a yard sale. Lately I have all but given up on yard sales, being that they are mostly baby toys, clothes, car seats and junk. But, the big pile of woodland camo BDUs caught my eye so I stopped to investigate and I pulled this P44 Camo uniform from the bottom of the pile. I was surprised to say the least, this stuff turns up when and where you least expect it. This set cost me $10.00. Last week I pulled a 1st patten compass pouch and Gurley compass from a gun show for $10.00 also. I haven't had this kind of luck with militaria in years. These last 2 weeks remind me of the old days when this stuff was everywhere and cheap. Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket.

Anyway, I couldn't find any kind marking anywhere on the jacket or trousers. But this looks like a good set to me. The "dounut" type buttons on the jacket are marked "US Marine Corps", and the snaps on the pockets are marked "United Carr". The trousers look good too, a bit stronger color than the jacket but the fly closes with "Scoville" marked snaps. Is this normal to have snaps? and not buttons? Was this pattern uniform actually used during WWII or was it designed to late to see much use?

As always I would appreciate any of your comments, observations and opinions.

Thanks

Dennis

post-2843-1277056400.jpg

tarheelyankee

FANTASTIC find. Do you want to double your money, hell, I'll even triple your money on this great camo set :lol::lol: Seriously though, you did good. Wish I can have the kind of luck again that we all used to have back in the day when this stuff was everywhere.

Tarheelyankee :thumbsup:

Thanks Tarheel, but I think I'll hang on to it for a bit. I can't figure out why I am having such good luck lately, but, I am not complaining. I guess it's just persistence or that old saying "that even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while".

Corpsmancollector

Great find!

Although I'm afraid I have some bad news. The trousers aren't P44s.

THEY'RE P42s!!!

HOLY COW!!!

GREAT find, Dennis, absolutely great find! Congrats, my friend, those are keepers for sure. (And yes, the snaps were standard on the P42 reversible trousers).

I can't wait to get home and take a couple "garage sale" days!

Semper,

Ski

Dennis

Outstanding find.Just shows you never know whats out there in the wood work.

Things tend to happen in threes.You have one more find coming up!!!

RD

Dennis

Outstanding find.Just shows you never know whats out there in the wood work.

Things tend to happen in threes.You have one more find coming up!!!

RD

I can vouch for that! :lol:

Schnicklfritz

Great find. The trousers are the P42 pattern. The jacket is the P44 pattern. For some reason, I've seen a few finds that folks have posted in which the jacket was the P44 and the trousers the P42. Both patterns were used in WW2. More photos are showing up showing Marines wearing the P44 camo in combat late in the war.

Awesome!!!....i can just imagine the rush of excitement you felt as you moved some woodland camo out of the way and spied the USMC WWII camo peeking back at you!.....mike :w00t: