WWII Silver Star / Purple Heart group Chinese American POW

KASTAUFFER

I recently picked this group up at a Militaria show in Tacoma a couple of months ago and did some interesting research.

This is a grouping to a Chinese American who served as a Sgt, with the 58th Armored Field Artillery Bn. who was wounded and received a Silver Star for actions during the Battle of the Bulge. The 58th was also part of the initial landings at Normandy on D-Day attached to the 29th Division. I do not know if he was there, but he probably was. He was captured on December 20th, 1944 and spent the rest of the war in Stalag IIA.

Sgt. Lum received an officially engraved Purple Heart (1st name mis-spelled) and an un-named Silver Star during WWII. He received a replacement set of named medals with new certificates in the 1980’s. He passed away in 1990.

This is the first opportunity I have had to purchase a grouping to a Chinese-American who was a POW of the Germans during WWII. I am sure there is much more to tell about his story.

MVC_004L.JPG

MVC_005L.JPG

MVC_006L.JPG

His offiicially machine engraved Purple Heart with the PQMD card. Mis-spelled, but that is how he got it!

MVC_007L.JPG

MVC_008L.JPG

Nice Kurt!

That Silver Star citation is interesting... never seen one before on that type certificate.

MW

Thanks Mike!

I have seen them in the modern presentation folders with this citation document on one side and the medal certificate on the other.

Kurt

Great grouping. No doubt this previously had been a "specific want list item" (i.e., Silver Star/misspelled PH group to a Chinese-American held captive by the Germans) in your otherwise complete POW collection.

Kurt

Great grouping. No doubt this previously had been a "specific want list item" (i.e., Silver Star/misspelled PH group to a Chinese-American held captive by the Germans) in your otherwise complete POW collection.

Kurt

:lol:

A very unusual group Kurt. Congratulations!!

Kurt

When I bought it I didnt even realize he was Chinese! I still need one to a Japanese-American held by the Japanese, but those are far and few between. The only one I know is a fellow named Frank " Foo " Fujita who was a POW in Japan. Maybe his PH is mis-spelled too ;)

Kurt

• 10 months later...
KASTAUFFER

Finally found 100% confirmation he was Chinese-American. I found him on the 1920 census from Oregon and it lists his mother and father as being born in China!

Kurt

ww1collector

Great group Kurt! As KurtA said, it is very unusual, but I doubt that will fill all the holes in your collection! Dave

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

When I bought it I didnt even realize he was Chinese! I still need one to a Japanese-American held by the Japanese, but those are far and few between. The only one I know is a fellow named Frank " Foo " Fujita who was a POW in Japan. Maybe his PH is mis-spelled too ;)

Kurt

Japanese-American POW in Japan... Frank Fujita must have had some hard times while in captivity! :o

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
Wharfmaster

Nice group indeed ! Should have been awarded a DSC.

Good example that engraving mistakes happened and nobody caught it.

W

• 1 year later...