Dog Tags Styles and examples Part 1

Ricardo

Here is an interesting dog tag as it belonged to Col. Glen Eagleston who was a noted World War II and Korean War Fighter ace.

Joe

Here are two interesting Dog Tags. One belonging to Col. Augustin Gabriel, a Philippine Constabulary officer. Post War, Col. Gabriel was credited with forming the Philippine Intelligence agency. The second tag is a pre-WWII Philippine Army Officers dog tag to T.O. Pasqual with next of kin listed.

Joe

post-9107-1262393592.jpg

Here is an interesting dog tag that I acquired in the Philippines and were dug-up and named to a Joseph Blair. Years ago I search graves registry and did not find his name. Worth researching sometime. Enjoy. Joe

I found your soldier in the National Archives database - his enlistment in the Army.

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/index.jsp

Joseph C. Blair's serial number is 34852841.

According to his enlistment record, he was born in 1923 and he enlisted at Fort Bragg North Carolina.

I found a Social Security death record who might be your soldier.

Born 7 Apr 1923, died Jun 1971. No other information is listed with this death record except the SSN which was a North Carolina number.

There's a little bit of information for you.

Joy

I found your soldier in the National Archives database - his enlistment in the Army.

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/index.jsp

Joseph C. Blair's serial number is 34852841.

According to his enlistment record, he was born in 1923 and he enlisted at Fort Bragg North Carolina.

I found a Social Security death record who might be your soldier.

Born 7 Apr 1923, died Jun 1971. No other information is listed with this death record except the SSN which was a North Carolina number.

There's a little bit of information for you.

Joy

Joy

Thank you for your note and help. This gives me a lead to work with. I appreciate your help. Thank you and all the best to you and your family in the New Year. Joe

Joe,

My pleasure - it is good to 'remember' these servicemen and women, and finding a little bit about them is one way to remember them.

All the best to you, and the rest of the Forum for the New Year!

Joy

2nd type.

post-647-1262923948.jpg

How can I get more information about the owner of those dog tags ?.

May be someone can help me ?

My web searches were futile and ended in no serious results.

Is there a Website like NARA for the navy ?.

Thanks a lot.

Very cool! Having tags from both wars on the same man.

There is not much information on the US Navy, US Marine Corps or US Air Force out there. Mostly just US Army. But, I was able to track down a little information on Carl Koch, Jr. on ancestry.com which requires a membership. However, you can get some information on http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

They have scans of the 1900 census.

Another source of this information is: http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

Both of these are free.

He was born in New York.

In the 1900 census his name is listed as Karl. He and his family were living in Schenectady, New York. His mother, Bertha Koch was born in December 1876 in Germany. She immigrated to the US in 1894. His father was Carl J. He was born in Apr 1875 in New York and he was working as a machinist. Both of his parents were born in Germany. Carl and Bertha Koch were married in 1896. They had another son, Edward, who was born in Jan 1900.

In the 1910 census they was living in Schenectady, New York.

I have been unable to find Carl Koch, Jr. in subsequent census records. I did find his brother, Edward in the 1930 census, living in Schenectady, working as an automobile mechanic, married to Elsa from Nebraska, with son Edward who was born in Virginia. Edward did not serve in the war. Bertha Koch is living in the Bronx, she is widowed, living with her son Nicholas.

I was unable to locate any other records. He is not in the Social Security death index, but he may have died before those records start.

Very cool! Having tags from both wars on the same man.

There is not much information on the US Navy, US Marine Corps or US Air Force out there. Mostly just US Army. But, I was able to track down a little information on Carl Koch, Jr. on ancestry.com which requires a membership. However, you can get some information on http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

They have scans of the 1900 census.

Another source of this information is: http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

Both of these are free.

He was born in New York.

In the 1900 census his name is listed as Karl. He and his family were living in Schenectady, New York. His mother, Bertha Koch was born in December 1876 in Germany. She immigrated to the US in 1894. His father was Carl J. He was born in Apr 1875 in New York and he was working as a machinist. Both of his parents were born in Germany. Carl and Bertha Koch were married in 1896. They had another son, Edward, who was born in Jan 1900.

In the 1910 census they was living in Schenectady, New York.

I have been unable to find Carl Koch, Jr. in subsequent census records. I did find his brother, Edward in the 1930 census, living in Schenectady, working as an automobile mechanic, married to Elsa from Nebraska, with son Edward who was born in Virginia. Edward did not serve in the war. Bertha Koch is living in the Bronx, she is widowed, living with her son Nicholas.

I was unable to locate any other records. He is not in the Social Security death index, but he may have died before those records start.

THANKS A LOT for your help and findings. Those great informations will help me in my future searches. If I understand well, Carl or Karl was born between 1894-96 and 1898 ?. He was in his fourties during WW2. His dog tags were found with two yeoman third class rank insignias (one dated 1941) and a Navy amphibious unit (WW2 made) patch.

But I'm quite sure that the acid etched marked dog tag is early WW2 (it has two holes, making it a 1940 type)

Again thanks a lot for your help.

This item pre-dates the standard dog tag but is a soldiers identification paper.I picked this up several years ago and the paper was folded into the two piece locket/carrier as shown.

post-342-1262393308.jpg

This one is really cool. I don't think the case is US, I have one similar that I believe is Yugoslavian which also has a paper inside it (though the papers are completely different from yours). That GI must have picked up the tag from another country?

THANKS A LOT for your help and findings. Those great informations will help me in my future searches. If I understand well, Carl or Karl was born between 1894-96 and 1898 ?. He was in his fourties during WW2. His dog tags were found with two yeoman third class rank insignias (one dated 1941) and a Navy amphibious unit (WW2 made) patch.

But I'm quite sure that the acid etched marked dog tag is early WW2 (it has two holes, making it a 1940 type)

Again thanks a lot for your help.

Big OOPS :ermm:

All of the etched tags I have are WWI and the numbers were birth dates, and sometimes enlistment dates. I totally spaced the 6 in front of the 12-08-98 and assumed that was his birth date.

I'm off to do more research. SOOOO sorry!

It does look like the etched tag might be from prior to early 1941. Early in 1941 regulations were changed (from 1920) that tags "should include name, date of entry into service, date of birth, and fingerprint." Too bad Carl Koch, Jr.'s tag doesn't have that information! In August 1941 is when the graphotype machines for stamping data on the tags became available. It was thought to be faster than the etching process.

Are the tags both of the same metal?

Big OOPS :ermm:

All of the etched tags I have are WWI and the numbers were birth dates, and sometimes enlistment dates. I totally spaced the 6 in front of the 12-08-98 and assumed that was his birth date.

I'm off to do more research. SOOOO sorry!

It does look like the etched tag might be from prior to early 1941. Early in 1941 regulations were changed (from 1920) that tags "should include name, date of entry into service, date of birth, and fingerprint." Too bad Carl Koch, Jr.'s tag doesn't have that information! In August 1941 is when the graphotype machines for stamping data on the tags became available. It was thought to be faster than the etching process.

Are the tags both of the same metal?

The acid etched dog tag is made of a heavier metal, very different than the other two.

Here is my new pair! Belonged to B-29 1st Lt Leonard B. Fletter O-861659 from the 505th Bomb Group - Tinian. Have found from General Orders 22 and 30 from 1945 that he was awarded the Bronze Star Medal twice, although I still couldnt find why. :thumbsup:

post-7438-1263402171.jpg

post-7438-1263402183.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Already posted a long time ago, but they deserve to be on that thread.

Dog tags of a US Navy Reserve sailor. Find nothing about him on Ancestry.com.

post-647-1265112684.jpg

Same sailor but this time the SV (selective volunteer) suffix is used. Can someone explain me what is a Selective volunteer. :think:

post-647-1265112840.jpg

Thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

US Coast Guardman dog tags. Both are slightly differents. Earliest one is made of an heavier metal. Medals of the owner are shown below. Any way to know what ship or vessel ha was serving in ?

post-647-1265297455.jpg

I have no idea what selective volunteer is. Strange terminology.

I really wish there was more information available for the branches of the US military besides the Army. Unfortunately, there isn't very much for the others. And I think the Coast Guard has the least amount. Maybe a Coast Guard forum?

Thanks for sharing your tags!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an interesting WWI era pilots dogtag. I beleive the A.S.S.C. stands for Air Service Signal Corps. The FOR. DET. NO.1 stands for "Foreign Detachment Number 1". He was trainging in the US and transferred to France to finish training during the war.

post-2609-1267308832.jpg

here is a set of womans...with a N prefix

Here's some information on her - I feel that learning a little about these veterans is a way to honor them, beyond keeping their belongings.

From the Nationwide Veterans Gravesite Locator:

ELLINGROD, KATHRYN J

1ST LT US ARMY

WORLD WAR II

DATE OF BIRTH: 01/29/1923

DATE OF DEATH: 11/10/2000

BURIED AT:

STEVE BAKKER

14181 HWY 57 PARKERSBURG, IA 50665

From Social Security Death Index:

Name: Kathryn J. Ellingrod

SSN:

Last Residence: 50073 Elkhart, Polk, Iowa, United States of America

Born: 29 Jan 1923

Died: 10 Nov 2000

State (Year) SSN issued: Iowa (Before 1951)

Here is an interesting WWI era pilots dogtag. I beleive the A.S.S.C. stands for Air Service Signal Corps. The FOR. DET. NO.1 stands for "Foreign Detachment Number 1". He was trainging in the US and transferred to France to finish training during the war.

I found some information about him on ancestry.com.

In the 1910 census he was living with his parents, Arthur G. and Laura E. Rupp in Worland, Big Horn, Wyoming.

In the 1920 census he was living with his parents in Snohomish, Snohomish, Washington.

He registered for the draft for WWI on 5 Jun 1917 in Seattle, King County, Washington. His full name was George Wellington Rupp but he signed his form Wellington Rupp. He was born 5 May 1895 in Aurora, Illinois. At the Mr. Rupp registered he was a student at the University of Washington. He reported previous military experience as a Sergeant in the infantry for 3 years in Wyoming.

I also found 2 passport applications, one in 1920:

It listed his occupation as Electrical Engineer. It reported that he was in the "American Exped. Force (France) 25 Sep 1917 until 10 Aug 1919."

The purpose of his trip was to travel to Belgium to be married. To go to France and Italy "to care for graves of comrades" and to England to visit friends and relatives. He planned to leave 10 July 1920. The passport application has a photograph.

And another application in 1923. He was requesting the passport for himself, his wife Suzanne Jeanne Rupp and his son Jacques Wellington Rupp. Mr. Rupp was still an electrical engineer. It said he had foreign service in the Army from 25 Sep 1917 until 10 Aug 1919. For this trip they were going traveling to visit relatives, personal business, study and travel. Their planned travels included: "England, Holland, Belgium, France, Span, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, & other Countries in Europe. Southern Asiatic Countries and Japan and Chine, and Northern Africa." They was to leave on or about 15 Jul 1923. The application includes a picture of the 3 of them. (I *love* :D finding this kind of information about these veterans!)

There are some passenger records for him too:

He arrived in New York on 4 Oct 1920 on the France having departed from Le Havre, France on 26 Sep 1920. He was traving with S. Rupp, age 25, and they were married. She was not a US citizen and their destination was Snohomish, Washington.

Mr. Rupp, his wife Suzanne, born about 1894, and their son, Jacques (age 3) arrived in New York on 30 Nov 1924 on board the Belgenland from Antwerp, Belgium.

Mr. Rupp, his wife Suzanne, and their son, Jacques arrived in New York on 31 May 1930 on board the America from Hamburg, Germany. Jacques was 8 years old and was born in Olympia, Washington.

Mr. Rupp died in Sep 1981 in Seattle, King County, Washington.

Joy

Here is a USNR with Thumbprint

Leonard Frank Matthiesen:

I found a social security death record for L.F. Matthiesen who was born on 13 Dec 1920 and died 21 Aug 2000 with a last known address of Marshalltown, Marshall, Iowa.

I noticed dkolpek is from Iowa. So, maybe it is the same man.

Unfortunately that was all I found.

Joy