Dog Tags Styles and examples Part 1

Ricardo

CNY Militaria
question being, why isn't this in a museum

There are a lot of things that should be in museums, that aren't. Just look at the collections on this forum, many are museum-worthy.

Truth is, as I understand it, that quite a few of Smedley Butler's personal items were peddled off by the family over the years, some as momentos to close personal friends of the family, or of Gen. Butler himself. This was long before the bulk of what was left was donated to the Marine Corp Museum, likely as far back as the 40s, 50s and 60s. I recall seeing his overseas cap sold on ebay a few years back, as well as the fact that one of our members, 4StarChris has his dress whites and visor cap in his impressive GO collection. His dress blues are also floating around somewhere in collector hands. There is a thread on the forum regarding this uniform and gives details of one collector encountering both uniforms for sale simultaneously at one point.

post-156-1192310927.jpg

post-156-1192310941.jpg

question being, why isn't this in a museum

I have a set of dogtags to Col. Henry Mucci of the 6th Army Rangers who lead the mission to liberate the POW's at Cabanatuan from the Japanese ( The Great Raid ) . One wonders how I got his dogtags too . ( and yes they are real ) .

Kurt

4StarChris has a museum, though

granted, I'd love to believe it, and love to have it in my collection, but am not willing to spend that kind of cash, and it will shoot up, without proof

pathfinder505

Truth is, as I understand it, that quite a few of Smedley Butler's personal items were peddled off by the family over the years, some as momentos to close personal friends of the family, or of Gen. Butler himself. This was long before the bulk of what was left was donated to the Marine Corp Museum, likely as far back as the 40s, 50s and 60s. I recall seeing his overseas cap sold on ebay a few years back, as well as the fact that one of our members, 4StarChris has his dress whites and visor cap in his impressive GO collection. His dress blues are also floating around somewhere in collector hands. There is a thread on the forum regarding this uniform and gives details of one collector encountering both uniforms for sale simultaneously at one point.

I know a guy who has the forest green uniform that belonged to Butler. He got it from the son. Seems the son was selling off a lot of his stuff. I was surprised to see some was donated to the Marine Corps Museum due to Butlers love for the Corps in his later years.

It sold the other day for $1500 smackers! And, if George Harris sold it, you can take it to the bank as REAL!!!!!!

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

It sold the other day for $1500 smackers! And, if George Harris sold it, you can take it to the bank as REAL!!!!!!

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Concur.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought this yesterday for $10.00 at the flea market. I'm assuming it is WWI era? My first WW1 dog tag. It looks like it says, " J. THOMAS RODDA 823318". Does anyone have any information on this individual?

post-1389-1194899367.jpg

post-1389-1194899382.jpg

post-1389-1194899400.jpg

Jeffrey Magut

From his Draft Registration Form:

Name: J Thomas Rodda

City: Not Stated

County: St Louis

State: Minnesota

Birthplace: Minnesota;United States of America

Birth Date: 27 Sep 1888

Race: Caucasian (White)

Draft card says he was a Locomotive fireman for a Mining company, and had two years in the Nat. Guard with 3rd Minn. Inf.

Hope this helps.

From his Draft Registration Form:

Name: J Thomas Rodda

City: Not Stated

County: St Louis

State: Minnesota

Birthplace: Minnesota;United States of America

Birth Date: 27 Sep 1888

Race: Caucasian (White)

Draft card says he was a Locomotive fireman for a Mining company, and had two years in the Nat. Guard with 3rd Minn. Inf.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much!

• 2 months later...
Guest HB in NC

I found some dog tags years ago and just recently came across them

> again! Is there some way I can send you folks some photos of them and

> help find the owner or decendents of the owner? Im not look for any

> reward just tryin to do the right thing!

Mitch Wolfe

post-2329-1200878128.jpg!

>

Hi and welcome to USMF! :) Where abouts in NC are you located? I use to live in Western NC, near Asheville. As far as the dog tags, here is all I could find on them. I'm not to sure how you go about contacting a descendant of a veteran, maybe another member here would know.

For the top pair of dog tags it says Mr. Sparks is deceased, so you will have to find a relative.

ASN: 34594708

Name: Avery V. Sparks

SSN: 242-68-2023

Born: June 9, 1905

Death: November 1960

Residence: Yadkin County, North Carolina

Place of Enlistment: Camp Croft, South Carolina

Enlistment Date: December 11, 1942

Service Branch: Warrant Officer

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next dog tag, (bottom left) is in the same situation as above. The veteran is deceased.

ASN: 12167113

Name: Roy P. Smith

SSN: 054-30-4228

Born: April 28, 1903

Death: October 28, 1982

Residence: Cortland, New York 13045

Civilian Occupation: Fireman

Place of Enlistment: Syracuse, New York

Enlistment Date: September 21, 1942

Service Branch: Army Air Corps

Burial: Golden Gate National Cemetery; San Bruno, California

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last dog tag of Mr. Shell, I am pretty sure he may still be alive.

ASN: 33529857

Name: Charlie Shell

Born: 1923

Civilian Occupation: Unskilled occupations in manufacture of textiles.

Place of Enlistment: Roanoke, Virginia

Enlistment Date: January 6, 1943

Good luck. thumbsup.gif

- Jeff

Guest HB in NC
Hi and welcome to USMF! :) Where abouts in NC are you located? I use to live in Western NC, near Asheville. As far as the dog tags, here is all I could find on them. I'm not to sure how you go about contacting a descendant of a veteran, maybe another member here would know.

For the top pair of dog tags it says Mr. Sparks is deceased, so you will have to find a relative.

ASN: 34594708

Name: Avery V. Sparks

SSN: 242-68-2023

Born: June 9, 1905

Death: November 1960

Residence: Yadkin County, North Carolina

Place of Enlistment: Camp Croft, South Carolina

Enlistment Date: December 11, 1942

The next dog tag, (bottom left) is in the same situation as above. The veteran is deceased.

ASN: 12167113

Name: Roy P. Smith

SSN: 054-30-4228

Born: April 28, 1903

Death: October 28, 1982

Residence: Cortland, New York 13045

Civilian Occupation: Fireman

Place of Enlistment: Syracuse, New York

Enlistment Date: September 21, 1942

Service Branch: Army Air Corps

Burial: Golden Gate National Cemetery; San Bruno, California

The last dog tag of Mr. Shell, I am pretty sure he may still be alive.

ASN: 33529857

Name: Charlie Shell

Born: 1923

Civilian Occupation: Unskilled occupations in manufacture of textiles.

Place of Enlistment: Roanoke, Virginia

Enlistment Date: January 6, 1943

Good luck. thumbsup.gif

- Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I'm in Fayetteville near Methodist College! I mostly relic hunt old house sites and camps!

I guess my next step might be to do a people search and start calling folks but that will be tough competing with all those telemarketers lol ?

You can always send a letter to the address with a note explaining the situation. Enclose a stamped, self addressed envelope for their reply (it seems to make it easier to get a response) and see what happens. Of the 5-6 times I tried this, once I got a letter back from the wife of the man, and once from a neighbor telling me a new address to try. Twice, I got my original letter back with a "not at this address" stamp. So, its about 20-30% success rate.

Patrick

there was a female on this site that worked at the Tank Museum in Danville,Va. she might be able to check the phone book or something for the last dog tag for Charlie Shell . Also he might have worked a Dan River Mills.

there was a female on this site that worked at the Tank Museum in Danville,Va. she might be able to check the phone book or something for the last dog tag for Charlie Shell . Also he might have worked a Dan River Mills.

Girltankette I think she is called here?

Erwin

Jeeper,

I think you are right!!!!!!!!! I grew up in that neck of the woods , but I now live in pa. Wish I could help more & get that Dog Tag back to it's owner!!!!!!!!

Greg

VAWARMEMORIAL

Charlie Shell is not listed in Virginia from either WWII or Korea as KIA so there is a chance that he is still alive. We have a list of all of Virginia's KIA and MIA's for WWII, Korea, Vietnam, The First Gulf war and the War on Terror, so if you need a name researched just shoot me a PM.

Reference:

Audie Murphy dog tags:

The dog tags worn by Audie Murphy during combat in Europe. The information on the dog tags includes his name (Audie L. Murphy), an identification number (18083707), his next of kin (Corrine Burns, a married sister), and his home-of-record (Farmersville, Texas). Historical note: According to one source (Audie Murphy / American Cotton Museum curator), Audie Murphy may have actually had two different identification numbers. When Audie Murphy was given a battlefield commission in 1945, he was first honorably discharged as an enlisted soldier. Minutes later, he was sworn in as a commissioned officer of the United States Army by his battalion commander. Because of this, he was likely issued a new service number to reflect this "separate" term of service.

dog_tags2.jpg

Best regards,

Ricardo.