Dog Tags Styles and examples Part 1

Ricardo

Andre,

You might have already checked this site but here is a dogtag site that helps decipher them a bit.

http://home.att.net/~steinert/us_army_ww2_dog_tags.htm

Greg

yes i already looked at that page ,got some information from that at least,but i also send a request now to nara for information,hope i,ll get an answer.Would be very nice.

thanks

andre

• 1 month later...

can anyone explain this? got this tag today, but where there's no Tetanus date. Also, can anyone tell me what the 'SS' means??? thanks

USMC_Tag.JPG

can anyone explain this? got this tag today, but where there's no Tetanus date. Also, can anyone tell me what the 'SS' means??? thanks
Brig, I believe the SS indicates the individual was drafted into the Corps. REF: "Dog Tags" Paul Braddock PG 131.

That was just a quick read.

based on the serial number this Marine may have entered service after July 1944. This Is supported by two things. 1) No tetanus date - marine -navy stopped putting the date on the tag near the end of the war 2) the serial number 1,000,000 was issued on 23 Jul 1944. TOM

Brig, I believe the SS indicates the individual was drafted into the Corps. REF: "Dog Tags" Paul Braddock PG 131.

based on the serial number this Marine may have entered service after July 1944. This Is supported by two things. 1) No tetanus date - marine -navy stopped putting the date on the tag near the end of the war 2) the serial number 1,000,000 was issued on 23 Jul 1944. TOM

thanks!

That would make sense that SS represented Selective Service? think.gif The Army used US versus RA as a prefix on the serial number to show the difference between draftees and Regular Army (enlistees).

Laury

That would make sense that SS represented Selective Service? think.gif The Army used US versus RA as a prefix on the serial number to show the difference between draftees and Regular Army (enlistees).

Laury

first time I ever saw SS on a USMC tag

• 2 weeks later...
first time I ever saw SS on a USMC tag

My father went thru PI in 1951 and he said that the DI's used to pick the USMC-SS and USMCR's for the s _ _ _ details

Bill

My father went thru PI in 1951 and he said that the DI's used to pick the USMC-SS and USMCR's for the s _ _ _ details

Bill

The service # on this tag indicates Korean war era, late 1951 or 1952

Bill

There are two points I would like to make here. First, the eBay seller is GBHMEdals, who is George Harris, whom I put up there on the lofty heights near the late Al Gleim. George Harris was one of the first dealers that I ever dealt with as a youth, getting his medal catalogs in the mail and then calling him with a budget that wasn't really worth his time. He is a true gentleman and has been a pillar in the medal collectors' hobby.

The thought that he would knowingly sell a fake or even a suspect piece is beyond the grasp of my comprehension. I can tell you that if George says it is good, you can take it to the bank.

My second point is that a number of Smedley Butler's items have ended up out in the collector community. Why is it beyond the realm of probability that this one piece couldn't have also come from the family?

Finally, where do the blank WWI ID disks come from? I've collected for over thirty years and have only ever come across ONE. Does anyone have a source for these? If they are so common, then why haven't we seen Eddie Rickenbaker and Alvin York's dog tags come up for sale?

Allan

Allan,

I can assure you that empty blanks do exist, last year there was even a small cache of them that sold on ebay. For that matter, they are merely punched aluminum discs, any competent machine shop could make them. Allan Crane out at AEF Supply has blanks made, but his are thicker than originals so you can tell them apart, but there isn't anything that says they have to be.

My comments were not intended to denigrate George Harris, who I have found to be peerlessly honest, but more to point out that for "personality" items, especially ones like this that are so easy to fake--and very high priced, one should be automatically suspicious.

No doubt that George believes this to be a genuine item. I wouldn't presume to question his motives. Still, as advice for the neophyte collectors on the board, I stand by my statement that I wouldn't consider such an item without iron clad provenance.

Chris

There are two points I would like to make here. First, the eBay seller is GBHMEdals, who is George Harris, whom I put up there on the lofty heights near the late Al Gleim. George Harris was one of the first dealers that I ever dealt with as a youth, getting his medal catalogs in the mail and then calling him with a budget that wasn't really worth his time. He is a true gentleman and has been a pillar in the medal collectors' hobby.

The thought that he would knowingly sell a fake or even a suspect piece is beyond the grasp of my comprehension. I can tell you that if George says it is good, you can take it to the bank.

My second point is that a number of Smedley Butler's items have ended up out in the collector community. Why is it beyond the realm of probability that this one piece couldn't have also come from the family?

Finally, where do the blank WWI ID disks come from? I've collected for over thirty years and have only ever come across ONE. Does anyone have a source for these? If they are so common, then why haven't we seen Eddie Rickenbaker and Alvin York's dog tags come up for sale?

Allan

Greg Robinson

There were several variations of WW1 USMC ID tags but here's one of them for an enlisted Marine. I picked both tags on the remnants of the original cord and know them to be right as rain.

Re reproduction ID tag blanks, it's been my observation that they're readily available. So I'd agree with those who said they're require verified provenance.

post-4-1192292006.jpg

post-4-1192292048.jpg

post-4-1192292075.jpg

Schnicklfritz

I know someone a few years ago that had not only a bunch of blank ID discs, but also had the marking kit. I wasn't interested in it at the time and did not buy it. They are out there.

Hello

Any specific name needed???
MoH recipients, John Pruitt, Mattej Kockack, John Kelly, Weedon Osborne, Louis Cukela, Charles Hoffman
With the correct date of enlistment and serial number
These are not original blank DT, but, these alu roundels have been found here in an old hardware store, and were used to identify keys,ETC...
Exactly the same dimension as the WWI DT.

Please , also note the the USMC dog tags were machine pre-stamped with the USMC logo, same as the one here offered for sale...
Frankly said... I like the Smedley Buttler one.
Teufelhund

EDIT: Picture is lost

Greg Robinson
Hello

Please , also note the the USMC dog tags were machine pre-stamped with the USMC logo, same as the one here offered for sale...

Frankly said... I like the Smedley Buttler one.

Teufelhund

I've seen WW1 tags both ways....machine stamped and hand stamped "USMC". The ones I have are hand stamped.

I've seen WW1 tags both ways....machine stamped and hand stamped "USMC". The ones I have are hand stamped.

Yes, I have also some of these in my collection , but I am convinced that these ones are field replacement DT ( stamped in France where no original USMC blanks were available)

parki.jpg

2euna8i.jpg

2rm6o9x.jpg