Dog Tags Styles and examples Part 1

Ricardo

Here is one of a black soldier i got along with his photo album

Assuming I am reading the serial number correctly: 37447694, that isn't in the national archives!

Maybe with the town of his next of kin, I could figure something out. But otherwise, J V Williams well, I can't find him. :think:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Simon Lerenfort

Stamped on a standard US stainless steel tag found in Italy:

RAHN FRANZ

OGEFR

81-G-643108 H

This is a German POW who was given this tag. The name and his rank is obvious, but what does the rest mean?

Does the H refer to Heer (Army).

Anyone else come across this type of tag before.

• 5 weeks later...
Stamped on a standard US stainless steel tag found in Italy:

RAHN FRANZ

OGEFR

81-G-643108 H

This is a German POW who was given this tag. The name and his rank is obvious, but what does the rest mean?

Does the H refer to Heer (Army).

Anyone else come across this type of tag before.

This is a German POW tag issued by US Army to a German Soldier captured in North Africa.

81 = North Africa

G= German

POW Serial Number=643108

Don,t know what the H is for. A good book on this Subject is "Nazi Prisoners of War in America" written by Arnold Krammer

This tag I post was found in Camp Shelby, Mississippi

post-476-1278621198.jpg

Simon Lerenfort

Thank you Earl that's just the kind of info I needed. Now I just need to source a copy of that book as well by the sounds of it.

Many thanks.

Simon.

• 1 month later...
Same sailor but this time the SV (selective volunteer) suffix is used. Can someone explain me what is a Selective volunteer. :think:

post-647-1265112840.jpg

Thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

Hi, I saw your post and question about the "SV" - selective volunteer suffix used on some dogtags. In checking Paul Braddocks fine book titled Dogtags , he says the SV designation was used to note those men who had special skills or training that would have placed them on a ship or location with little or no additional training needed. Some sort of technical or machinery competency in short supply during the war would have qualified somebody for this type classification. Also chaplains or even someone who was degreed with a higher level of education might have received the SV suffix.

HOpe this helps!

Kim

• 1 month later...

Here is a set from a William James Stewart. a tag came with it saying removed from body 9/16/51. on the back of the id bracelet is Woodland Hills California. i looked a bit for some info. did not really find any clues on how he passed other than was told injury from a accident,but i did find this.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?p...amp;df=all&

post-16308-1286469746.jpg

Here is a set from a William James Stewart. a tag came with it saying removed from body 9/16/51. on the back of the id bracelet is Woodland Hills California. i looked a bit for some info. did not really find any clues on how he passed other than was told injury from a accident,but i did find this.

Try:

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/index.jsp

Another useful link, which is the source for the findagrave.com information:

http://gravelocator.cem.va.gov/j2ee/servlet/NGL_v1

Joy

post-3685-1286582763.jpgpost-3685-1286582855.jpg

Here are 2 sets of tags I picked up recently. From what I have found so far the owner was a Navy surgeon attached to the Marines during Desert Storm. He passed away in 2007 so I didn't blur out the ssn as it is posted on the web elsewhere.

Very nice Desert Storm grouping, especially with some allergy tags. I think a lot of people pass over modern dog tags but you'd be surprised how much variation there is to them. I routinely find them for a dollar and just can't let someone's identity sit in a box of costume jewelry...

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ran across a variation like this example..? This tag has a fair amount of weight to it for it's size, feels like nickel steel.

I spent some time a while back looking thru the archive here and don't recall seeing a tag quite like this one so I thought I'd put a pic up for the experts/collectors to see......

Thanks to all in advance....

post-50776-0-74630600-1399965655.jpg

post-50776-0-26128900-1399965663.jpg

Here is one like it i got about a week ago.

Interesting. Thanks for posting!

One thing I am trying to figure out is the era of manufacture...my thoughts for the moment are that it is post-WW1, but I am not certain by a mile...

This tag (not mine BTW, a friends) cam out of an estate sale with some firearms a few years ago...

I did a quick check of my "dog tag" book written by Braddock and he calls these the Model 1924 tag. I didn't have enought time to read through the chapter but these were obviously used in the mid-late 20's. Not sure how far into the 30's they were used.

Kim

I did a quick check of my "dog tag" book written by Braddock and he calls these the Model 1924 tag. I didn't have enought time to read through the chapter but these were obviously used in the mid-late 20's. Not sure how far into the 30's they were used.

Kim

Great info, many thanks Kim.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone ran across a variation like this example..? This tag has a fair amount of weight to it for it's size, feels like nickel steel.

I spent some time a while back looking thru the archive here and don't recall seeing a tag quite like this one so I thought I'd put a pic up for the experts/collectors to see......

Also in Braddock's book is some information about serial numbers - numbers were assigned to areas in 1919, which topped out at 6,620,000.

On June 30, 1940, the number was up to 7,070,199. On July 1, a new series of serial numbers were issued.

In describing what he decided to call M-1924, Braddock says they are made of monel with 60% nickel. It does have a very slight magnetic attraction.

Braddock believes the metal changed because of a regulation issued 25 November 1924, AR 600-40:

"34. Tags, Identification. - Two identification tags of aluminum or other metal," -

Which Braddock believes opened the door to other metals.

Joy

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

Thanks to all in advance....

This type of tag was used all the way up to right before WWII. I have some to men who enlisted in the late 1930's.

Kurt

I just bought a copy of Braddock's book,i should have bought it sooner. anyone who is interested in Dog Tags should really look into getting a copy. it is a great book.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've searched the web and read all of this thread, but I can't get a definitive answer.

What did Korean War era USMC dog tags look like? Were they rectangular with the rolled edges like Army ones, or more of the oval like WWII style?

What information was usually included on these?

I'd like to have replacement dog tags made for my wife's family in honor of her late father. He served in the Marines from 1951-1953.

Any help, especially pictures of examples, would be much appreciated.

Thanks.