Dog Tags Styles and examples Part 1

Ricardo

Very interesting post. Here is my small contribution:

First tag. It was found along with the second tag still attached to the chain in a barn in battlefield area called tal-Ar-Groaz on the Crozon peninsula (south of Brest). The place was liberated by 8th inf Div and TFA (15th Cav Group). Tal-Ar-Groaz saw the elements of the 121st Inf Rgt Sept 15th 17th 1944.

I found that Christopher G. Georgoulis served in 121st Rgt and is listed as KIA. I only know that he was KIA between July and Dec 1944. I have no more info. Looks like his religion is, I believe, Greek Orthodox, which is not so common!

NB: 8th div Patch and Rgtl "Grey bonnet" crest are not from battlefield.

2rftr3r.jpg

Yannick

Second tag. This time found in Plouzané, West of Brest in an area liberated by the 29TH Infantry division. I found a Leo Gottlieb in the 3/116th, but never made any connection with this tag and SN, so I ma not 100% certain he is the good man.

Leo Gottlieb was WIA and survived the war. he was from the original unit which landed on D-DAY.

116th crest and collar disk and 29th patch are not from battlefield. The 29th patch is from a 3/116 vet.

49ge58i.jpg

Yannick

This time a set of dug up dog tags found a long time ago in a wooded area near Brest where the US forces had a big camp at a time. I just recently found that Arthur Hardy was a black soldier, native of NY.

2ryhsph.jpg

Yannick

Here is a ww2 usmc dogtag, he was a Marine Raider who was wounded on Edson's ridge Guadalcanal on september 12 1942. I also have his purple heart. Erich

post-514-1171678627.jpg

Here are a few 101st Airborne WWII ID'D Dog Tags...

First...Charles "Chuck" Grant from E/506th Parachute Infantry Regiment. If you saw Band of Brothers than you will relate this one to Chuck Grant being the Sergeant that was shot in the head at the end of the war.

post-261-1171848242.jpg

Second is from Lawrence "Bud" Walter HQ 1/502nd of the 101st.

post-261-1171848367.jpg

And this one is from Merle Lauer HQ/506th PIR and was a combat medic during WWII.

post-261-1171848452.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

First time posting. Dog Tag collecting is my main hobbyand this is a great site.

Attached is Yukito Murakani of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, Company K . He fought in Italy and France and his next of kin is in a Japanese American Relocation Center in Poston Arizonia.

Tetsuo Hamada was also a member of the 442nd RCT Company Kand he was from Hawaii.

Earlpost-476-1173409336.jpgpost-476-1173409356.jpg

• 2 months later...

I received this tags & uniform from Lawrence G Hauser,from the 3rd Armored Amphibian Tractor Battalion, Company C.

He saw service @ Peleliu and Okinawa.

A great hero.

Mike

post-975-1180891934.jpg

post-975-1180891978.jpg

Bellumbill

Yannick --

Thank you so much for posting Mr. Georgoulis' dog tags. I myself am Greek Orthodox and for years when I have repro WWII dog tags made up for myself for reenacting I have always left the space blank. I still don't think it was likely common, but at least I have one example of a WWII tag with the "Greek Orthodox" designation on them to show it was done!

To all the rest of you, I am just blown away by some of the great tags you guys have, thanks for posting them! I have a few cool ones that I will try and post in the next few days. Wish I could keep my collection in the house instead of a storage facility for times like this so I could just dig the stuff out, snap a pic and post!

Best,

Bill K.

Tags belonging to Seabee Herman Aaron Janssen of Lincoln, Nebraska. Janssen participated in the amphibious landings on Iwo Jima.

post-211-1181440602.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy
Yannick --

Thank you so much for posting Mr. Georgoulis' dog tags. I myself am Greek Orthodox and for years when I have re-pro WWII dog tags made up for myself for reenacting I have always left the space blank.

Best,

Bill K.

Hello Bellumbill and other reenactors, Bill regarding your comment about having dog-tags made up for reenacting purposes, I would suggest not putting any fictitious blood group on there. Imagine the scene your involved in a serious road accident you are unconscious you can't tell the medic that it is not a real issued tag, they believe the tag and pump you full of the wrong group.

Caution is worth thinking about when making up tags.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Raidercollector
post-421-1182949490.jpgHere is one of my WW2 USMCR dog tag to a Major ,Who fought on Guadalcanal with the 1st Division It has a thumb print on the back. Its a acid etch. Dated 12 -41

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a tag from a young sailor named Clarence Hurst. He entered the service in June 1918 and only lived another 7 months. Sadly he died of pneumonia at Great Lakes in Jan 29, 1919.

post-60-1171112715.jpg

That is interesting because it was obviously made after his death so it was not something issued to him. A couple of online sources say the oval, single hole Navy tags were issued beginning in 1921. Someone must have obtained one of those and hand etched the info on it.

I recently picked up an early oval tag that has no dates, not even the tetanus shot date as was apparently done during WWII, so I'm guessing this is a pre-WWII Navy tag:

hobleydogtag.jpg

Compare the information on that Navy tag to the info on this one from an earlier post in this thread:

post-211-1181440602.jpg

The Marines used the Navy tags through WWII, including the oval two-hole tags (starting in 1940).

One of our forum members has a very good page about USN/USMC dogtags: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/178595-dog-tags-styles-and-examples-part-2/ (NOTE: the original website for that was taken, so the link is to screenshots from the Internet Archive).

• 2 weeks later...

4qr0oz4.jpg

Friends

Here is a part of my WWI dog tag commection, nonecessary to say that it is one of my favorites topic along with collar disc

Some interesting items such as :

early square dog tags4Sent for a priest stamped dog tags

YMCA DT

USMC DT

Battlefield dug DT, 77th 26th & 3rd div

"George Bush " DT

Greetings

Teufelhund

26th DIVISION Dog Tags

4l98jnm.jpg

77TH Division Dog Tags ( Digged up items included)

5ywxfk8.jpg

USMC WWII Dog Tags( Bottom right is a bad Copy) Jesse Collins was in the 20th Co 5th USMC reg and "Took part in the attack against enemy in Bois de Belleau Bouresches sectors NW of Chateau Thierry

(June 20 to 30 missing in action)

4tams5v.jpg

Lieut Archie French, 4Th Brigade 78th Coy USMC Evacuated sick Belleau Wood June 1918 Wounded at Thiaucourt Sept 1918 ( see g B Clark book page 285 & USMC rosters)

5y8shi0.jpg

Pvt Elmer REED 66th Coy 4th Brigade USMC

Wounded in Action June 6th 1918 at Belleau Wood by enemy gun fire and Evac to Hosp, 0 june 1918 transfered to 2nd Repl Bat

Feb 26 1918 Joined Casual detach MB ( Marine Barrack) Philadelphia

Note; 3 MOH in this Coy

Louis Cuckela

Matej Kockak

James Kelly

5xolqvt.jpg

BTW can someone tell me more about the medal seen attached with the CD??? Masonic... religious???

Greeting Teufelhund

A Last one before lunch ( yes it is 12H00 Here)

No information about Arthur Nelson He was not 4th Brig nor 5th Brig

Maybe an embarked Marine or a Stateside one.

Any info welcome

Some others DT later, but it is a hell of a work for a Sunday morning, I had to miss the mass for you.

688rqd2.jpg

Teufelhund

I picked this piece up recently and was wondering if someone might be able help me identify two things:

1. Is this a sweet-heart piece sent home for a spouse or was it worn by the gentleman in question?

2. Who was Lt. Eugene C. Ewing?

The piece appears to be a necklace or something of the sort. It has a diamond lying sideways stamp on the inside and is marked STERLING. The reason I lean towards it being a sweet heart piece is the fact that it does not have the gentleman's serial number on the dog tag.

I know the history on the 369th during World War 1. They were called the Harlem Hellfighters. They were the first African-American unit deployed during the war.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Arch

p.s. I only paid $15 for this piece.