Dog Tags Styles and examples Part 1

Ricardo

NOW that is an interesting story! Great detective work on your part. I always like when someone can put a real story with an artifact. Great job!!!

Arch

General Apathy

Hi Ski, a moving story, just twenty ???? consider all the things that you have done since twenty, I certainly have been. War is Tragic.

Thanks for posting and taking the time and trouble to acquire all this info, good luck with any future research.

Cheers ( Lewis )

• 1 month later...
...WAC enlisted dogtag (if I'm correct)...

Not a WAC tag. The name "Maurice" aside, WWII WAC enlisted serial numbers had the "A" prefix followed by a unique number set of just six digits. The prefix "AO" did not exist in WWII but the USAF did start using it for Air Force officers in 1949. This tag might have been for a USAF officer (issued in 1949) who was originally commissioned via Army OCS during WWII. The WWII Army officer prefix was "O" and OCS officers were assigned unique number sets of seven digits. If this hypothetical USAF officer did come over from the Army, he would have retained his Army serial number, updated with the "AO" prefix.

• 5 weeks later...

Here are some dog tags out of my collection. First a set of early Monel dog tags. I don't know anything about this soldier really except that he was in the Pacific.

post-419-1229883042.jpg

third a really nice early monel set of dog tags that belonged to a paratrooper in the 505th PIR 82nd Airborne. This trooper made all 4 jumps with the 505th during WWII.

James

post-419-1229883276.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

what information was stamped on Vietnam-era dogtags? In what configuration/lay-out? Did they use the black rubber silencers? What lenght were both the long and short ball chains? I want to have a set made for me for re-enactment but I want it to have the correct lay-out and information. Thanks!

Greetz ;)

David

Hi all,

what information was stamped on Vietnam-era dogtags? In what configuration/lay-out? Did they use the black rubber silencers? What lenght were both the long and short ball chains? I want to have a set made for me for re-enactment but I want it to have the correct lay-out and information. Thanks!

Greetz ;)

David

I still have a set of dog tags from the 66/67 period. The 1968 Tags would be the same.

1st Line, Last Name

2nd Line, First Name and Middle Initial

3rd Line, SSAN

4th Line, Blood Type ( example O Pos, O Neg)

5th Line, Religious Preference

I use to just tape my dog tags.

I don't know what the exact length of dog tag chains were, I would say about 22/24 inches on the long chain, and 4 to 5 inches on the short chain.

I still have a set of dog tags from the 66/67 period. The 1968 Tags would be the same.

1st Line, Last Name

2nd Line, First Name and Middle Initial

3rd Line, SSAN

4th Line, Blood Type ( example O Pos, O Neg)

I use to just tape my dog tags.

I don't know what the exact length of dog tag chains were, I would say about 22/24 inches on the long chain, and 4 to 5 inches on the short chain.

Thanks! I presume they aren't notched?

Greetz ;)

David

Thanks! I presume they aren't notched?

Greetz ;)

David

I saw somewhere that some were and some weren't notched, and that this had to do with which branch to some extent, and when they ran out of notched blanks - more than anything else.

And, no - the notch had nothing to do with being put between the teeth and jamming the jaws together. It was used as a locator in the machine when imprinting the letters.

My 1963 issue tags followed the sequence Abn Inf showed... in the Air Force enlisted guys of that era also had the letters "AF" preceding their eight digit numerals. Use of the 9 digit, or Social Security Number, hadn't happened yet - in 1963.

... in the Air Force enlisted guys of that era also had the letters "AF" preceding their eight digit numerals. Use of the 9 digit, or Social Security Number, hadn't happened yet - in 1963.

I think it was 1969 that we all had to get new dog tags with the SSN instead of the of AF serial numbers. I still have one of each.

Laury Allison

Funny that this should come up. I used to make dog tags for members of my unit before I went on my last deployment.

Just this week I had a dog tag machine delivered to my house. My brother, who is working in Seoul, Korea, as a contractor bought this monster on Ebay. I haven't had a chance to uncrate it yet or find some blanks, but once I do, I should be able to crank out some dog tags for you guys!!!

Laury

I think it was 1969 that we all had to get new dog tags with the SSN instead of the of AF serial numbers. I still have one of each.

Thanks Lee... and, I don't think mine had a notch. I had given them to my mother after service, so when she passed on my beloved sister made sure they went to the village landfill. :blink:

Salvage Sailor

I had two (2) sets, one dull metal, the other shiny. Both sets had no notch. I also just used green fabric tape or black electrical tape to hold them together (and keep my p-38 from puncturing my chest) Never saw any silencers until the late 70's. My 'shiny' set was boot camp issue, the other set was made on the USS MIDWAY in Yokosuka, Japan on a large dogtag keypunch machine.

Here's the layout for my USN 'shiny' dogtags

1st Line, Last Name, First Name and Middle Initial

2nd Line BLANK

3rd Line, SSAN, USN, Blood Type

4th Line, BLANK

And the 'dull' set - Each tag is different, so much for consistancy

First dull tag:

1st Line, Last Name, First Name

2nd Line SSAN

3rd Line, Religious Preference

4th Line, Blood Type

5th Line, BLANK

Second dull tag:

1st Line, Last Name, First Name, middle initial

2nd Line SSAN

3rd Line, Religious Preference, Blood Type

4th Line, BLANK

5th Line, BLANK

I remember the operator having a debate with his Chief as to how to layout the tags, and they were looking at their own while punching my set out.......both of their's were different so I got one of each.....typical gundeck way of doing things in the fleet.

Here's a pic of my 'shiny set' of dogtags

on this thread