Dog Tags Styles and examples Part 1

Ricardo

Some of mine.Army-last W.W.1 tag is to a 1st.Lt. 109 Inf.,next W.W.2 is named to Helen Heydt,first 2 sets in second row are to same guy. 1 set is the early type with his home address.

U.S.M.C./U.S.M.C.R./U.S.N.R.-W.W.1 U.S.M.C.,2 W.W.2 U.S.M.C.R. and 2 W.W.2 U.S.N.R. Rich A.

dogtags2ta1.jpg

Hi Daan,

Nice early dogtags!!

FYI: I found some info on the first one's owner

Name WILLIAM J DITTY

Birth05 Mar 1910

Death 22 Aug 1999

Last Residence(V) 18067 (Northampton, Northampton, PA)

SSN (172-01-3419 )

Issued Pennsylvania

Friendly regards

Carl

Hi All,

I believe these come from a 2nd Infantry Division guy, but couldn't even get a basic hit on NARA.

I would truly love to confirm that he was 2nd Infantry Division. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Allan

post-208-1168305609.jpg

Hi Carl,

Thanks but i allready had that information, i meant that i don't know in what unit he was in, in what campaigns he took part, etc. Maybe it helps if i send a Form180.

Regards Daan

FYI: I found some info on the first one's owner

Name WILLIAM J DITTY

Birth05 Mar 1910

Death 22 Aug 1999

Last Residence(V) 18067 (Northampton, Northampton, PA)

SSN (172-01-3419 )

Issued Pennsylvania

Friendly regards

Carl

craig_pickrall

The following is a set of dog tags I bought at an estate sell a couple of years ago. I got several other items as well. From the paperwork I determined the GI was the Company Clerk. This is a guess but I think he may have been the one that made the dog tags. It looks like everytime there was a change in the tags he made one for himself and kept all of them. I have tried to put them in a logical order. Any comments are welcome.

The first item is an Addressograph Name Plate that was used for personnel records. I also got a so-so impression from it.

post-5-1168361951.jpg

post-5-1168361967.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This topic could almost be posted anywhere, but I thought this was a good spot for it since without your dogtags, you could be considered " out of uniform ".

If you have dogtags that are interesting or you just want to " show them off " put em here! We would love to see them.

Here is my first contribution :

This dogtag belonged to Col. Henry Mucci of the 6th Army Rangers . His unit liberated the Cabanatuan POW camp in the Philippines during WWII. Their actions were imortalized in the book " GHOST SOLDIERS " and in the movie " THE GREAT RAID " . This tag came from Mucci's estate sale in Florida after he died not long ago. The leather thong is original to the tag .

mucci.jpg

Dogtag to Major ( Later Lt General ) Reginald H. Ridgely of the 4th Marines . He was captured on Corregidor and spent 3 1/2 years in a POW camp. This tag was obtained from the estate of a Chaplain who was in the same camp. I dont know how he ended up with the tag.

I corresponded with Ridgely's grandson and the family still has the other matching tag!!!

ridgely.JPG

WWII US Army dogtag and German Stalag XIIA dogtag to PFC William Valiant who served with the 377th Infantry , 95th Division . He was captured 11/14/44 and spent the rest of the war as a POW.

tallant.jpg

General Apathy

post-344-1170581698.jpg

Hi kastauffer, thanks for starting this dogtag loop, here is a pair from my collection. They belonged to Jack L. Schall, #475766, USMCR, 12/42, whats really neat about them is the etched thumbprint on the reverse of both tags. The brass coin is a five cent token from the post exchange at Corregidor, obviously this is pre take-over by the Japanese. Sorry to say I know nothing of the history of Mr Schall or the tags. Cheers ( Lewis )

I do not have these in my collection. The grouping was broken up and I have the vets diary. If any of you guys have these and want to work out a trade or sell them outright, let me know!

The veterans name is Willis Dietrich and he was a chauffer with the 98TH AERO SQUADRON. It is interesting that there are two different squadrons shown and he winds up in a third.

post-203-1170592370.jpg

post-203-1170592511.jpg

Jeffrey Magut

Here's one of my favorites: dogtags and ID bracelet to Sgt. Henry A. Balensifer, of Co C. 101st Field Signal Battalion, 26th Division.

post-121-1170595179.jpg

Technically not a dog tag, but an interesting item nonetheless.

post-265-1170624862.jpg

The engraving reads:

Samuel F. Jones

Captain

MC USR

AEF

I've made an initial attempt at research, but no luck so far.

Bill

Technically not a dog tag, but an interesting item nonetheless.

IMG_1805.JPG

The engraving reads:

Samuel F. Jones

Captain

MC USR

AEF

I've made an initial attempt at research, but no luck so far.

Bill

I strongly recommend you fellows obtain a copy of Paul Braddock's book on the subject. I think they are in the $20-25 range, plus postage. He'll gladly autograph it to you. Contact him at [email protected].

G

Here is my Great Uncles dog tags from WWII. We called him Uncle Andy for some reason and Andy is not even in his name anywheres. I have these in a rotating plexyglas case with his field knife, EIB, Infantry collar disc, and compass. I have his patch somewhere also but have to find it.

post-50776-0-33547000-1399960998.jpg

hello/bonjour.

my ID Tag collection WWI. 'to find' in sailliant st Mihiel sector (south).

@+ solcarlus

all the 105 th TMB - 30 th DI (USNG)

post-241-1170960761.jpg

all units DI. (US-USNG-USNA-USMC)

post-241-1170960784.jpg

Here's a set of WW2 Marine tags on what I think is the remnants of the original wire plastic type cord. I picked the tags up at a local gunshow here in Ohio and don't know anything about the soldier.

post-60-1171112358.jpg

Here is a tag from a young sailor named Clarence Hurst. He entered the service in June 1918 and only lived another 7 months. Sadly he died of pneumonia at Great Lakes in Jan 29, 1919.

post-60-1171112715.jpg

Here is a set of tags to a WW1 nurse who served with the AEF in France. I have her 400 picture photo album which documents her service fairly well.

post-60-1171112856.jpg

And a set of tags to a Company K, 332nd Infantry Regiment soldier who served in Italy during WWI. It came with the red-white-blue cord. I have a second set of tags to another 332nd soldier that also has the same type cord.

post-60-1171113035.jpg

hello/bonjour.

my ID Tag collection WWI. 'to find' in sailliant st Mihiel sector (south).

@+ solcarlus

all the 105 th TMB - 30 th DI (USNG)

WOW!!!! Were all the tags found together?? I wonder if they were discarded as a group , when regulations in the AEF dictated that the soldiers unit was not supposed to be on their dogtags.

Kurt

hello Kurt

indeed, all the ID Tag of 105 HT TMB were found at the same place, with out front line but unfortunately, no collar disc .

salutations solcarlus