Dog Tags Styles and examples Part 1

Ricardo

OK, I've searched the web and read all of this thread, but I can't get a definitive answer.

What did Korean War era USMC dog tags look like? Were they rectangular with the rolled edges like Army ones, or more of the oval like WWII style?

What information was usually included on these?

I'd like to have replacement dog tags made for my wife's family in honor of her late father. He served in the Marines from 1951-1953.

Any help, especially pictures of examples, would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Never mind. I found the information I was looking for.

• 1 month later...

Here's a WW2 Merchant Marine dog tag that I finally, finally, finally got recently. I've been after one of these for so long but just plain forgot to bid on at least 5 of them over the years that I was watching on eBay. I now feel like a curse has been lifted. :P

post-50776-0-14945300-1399965765.jpg

• 1 month later...
Picked these up recently with medal racks and wings, WWII Vet. Mustang. Waiting for some info from NARA.

7733.jpg

Those are some nice WW2 Navy tags done up on Army blanks with the J clasps.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are my grandfathers WW1 USMC tags

He was First Sergeant with the 66th guard detachment in France 10/18 to 07/19

Warren in Arizona

post-31255-1307162747.jpg

post-31255-1307162758.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently acquired this dog tag along with a German POW ID tag at an estate sale. The apparently belonged to the same person, but I have no way to tell for sure.

Does anyone know how I might be able to research this dog tag and determine what unit this fellow served with and if he was a POW? The fellow was also from Arkansas if this is of help.

Thank you. Joe

post-9107-1312767237.jpg

• 1 month later...

I picked up a set of tags today and am curious about them. Here is what they read:

Dammon Martha E

F 8, March 1923

U.S. Citizen

I did find that she passed away in 1997 in Louisiana, but couldn't find an obituary or any other info.

I am going to guess maybe either a war correspondent or dependent overseas? Who would have had a tag marked in this fashion? Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
I picked up a set of tags today and am curious about them. Here is what they read:

Dammon Martha E

F 8, March 1923

U.S. Citizen

I did find that she passed away in 1997 in Louisiana, but couldn't find an obituary or any other info.

I am going to guess maybe either a war correspondent or dependent overseas? Who would have had a tag marked in this fashion? Thanks in advance.

It’s not impossible that this couldn’t have been for a correspondent, but it is unlikely. Normally correspondents had their new service ID’d on them or marked as a correspondent, so the proper authorities knew to be notified if the wearer was killed.

I have seen tags from stateside bases where civilian workers had tags marked in this fashion. Last month I was at the museum at Camp Gordon Johnston on the Florida coast and they had three tags marked very close to the way you mentioned and all were documented for civilian workers.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Looking for an opinion on these dog tags. They are my grandfather's, so I know they are real. The stamping looks different than most other dog tags from WWII. Thanks for your help.

He was based in the Pacific.

Sean

post-20483-1322675188.jpg

Hey guys,

Looking for an opinion on these dog tags. They are my grandfather's, so I know they are real. The stamping looks different than most other dog tags from WWII. Thanks for your help.

Sean

Can anyone offer some insight? The stamping looks unique.

Thanks,

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a tag I recently obtained. I found his NARA info and I know nothing else about the Man, but I included a picture of their old house. It would be nice to learn more about Mr. Tyree. Thanks for looking.

post-50776-0-37093100-1399966327.jpg

post-50776-0-78333900-1399966334.png

• 4 months later...

The following is one that I just picked up today. I checked NARA but couldn't find anything on him. I honestly don't know how to even go about researching dog tags.

Thanks

Mark

post-50776-0-76005000-1399966398.png

• 8 months later...

post-344-1170581698.jpg

Hi kastauffer, thanks for starting this dogtag loop, here is a pair from my collection. They belonged to Jack L. Schall, #475766, USMCR, 12/42, whats really neat about them is the etched thumbprint on the reverse of both tags. The brass coin is a five cent token from the post exchange at Corregidor, obviously this is pre take-over by the Japanese. Sorry to say I know nothing of the history of Mr Schall or the tags. Cheers ( Lewis )

Looks like your guy here was at Guam and Okinawa with "C" Co. 1st BN. 22nd Marines (C/1/22).

post-421-1182949490.jpgHere is one of my WW2 USMCR dog tag to a Major ,Who fought on Guadalcanal with the 1st Division It has a thumb print on the back. Its a acid etch. Dated 12 -41

John A. Phillips was in "H" Co. 2nd BN. 7th Marines (H/2/7).

here are the few USMC tags I've managed to collect. The first two are WWII, the third, by the serial number I am told, is Korean War era. I haven't dug up anything on any of these Marines yet

J.F. SCHUMMER was a military policeman staitioned in Hawaii

"D" David REITMAN was in "H" Co. 2nd BN. 3rd Marine Regiment at Bougainville as well as Guam and Iwo Jima . . . Nice tag!!

wow, thanks!

I have been slowly researching all of my named stuff on ancestry, just haven't gotten to the dog tags yet. Did you pull that all up at ancestry? You meant Hotel 3/3, not 2/3, correct?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not sure what you mean about the stamping looking different.

It doesn't appear different in the 2 images you included.

Hey guys,

Sean

post-20483-1322675188.jpg

Emeraldbat

The stamping is on the wrong side of the tag, and you can tell the size of the stamping is larger than the typical tiny font on most WWII tags. They are attached to the sterling latch necklace.

I'm guessing he lost his original tags? Unfortunately he passed 3yrs ago, before I started looking at his mementos. He was in the Philippines by the end of the war, so I was thinking he got replacements on a ship or on land, but since this stamping is so unique, I may never know the backstory.

As I said before, these are original and never messed with since my mom put his stuff in a shadow box in the 90's. Plus, if someone switched his tags, they would have taken the sterling necklace...

Sean

post-20483-0-93785900-1360326560.jpg

This Dog Tag I found many years ego in France near Reims, when I was working in vineyard.

I wonder is it possible to find some informations about it's owner?

post-109105-0-65539200-1361005010.jpg