Headquarters battery

erctut1

So my grandpa was in the 767th field artillery battalion HQ battery. What the heck is a HQ battery? I guess he wasnt attached to a infantry division. He gave me his patches years ago and they are all corps and army ssi. He tried explaining it to me but i didnt understand.

Salvage Sailor
So my grandpa was in the 767th field artillery battalion HQ battery. What the heck is a HQ battery? I guess he wasnt attached to a infantry division. He gave me his patches years ago and they are all corps and army ssi. He tried explaining it to me but i didnt understand.

In WWII, the 767th Field Artillery Battalion was a non-divisional unit, i.e. they were not attached to any particular division, but were part of either a corps or army artillery pool.

They left New York on 02/27/45 and arrived late in the ETO, not disembarking in France until 03/11/45 and I'm not sure they ever got to the front. They re-embarked at LeHavre, France, aboard the Lincoln Steffens on 07/27/45 (28 officers and 478 enlisted men shipment #10106-K) and arrived back in Charleston SC on August 7th, 1945 - the day after the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima.

Source: WWII Order of Battle, & Charleston Evening Post Aug 8 1945

The 767th FA Battalion used self-propelled (i.e. tracked) 155mm guns probably mounted on either M12 gun motor carriages or M40 GMC carriages.

Headquarters Battery is the HQ of the Artillery Battalion - it coordinates the fires of the Batteries in the Battalion. I'm sure a former 'redleg' on the forum can elaborate on the makeup &staffing of the batteries. (HQ/Service/A/B/C etc)

Here's a link to the T/O & E of a WWII 155mm artillery Battalion for your reference.

TO & E September 1944

There ya go....

In WWII, the 767th Field Artillery Battalion was a non-divisional unit, i.e. they were not attached to any particular division, but were part of either a corps or army artillery pool.

They left New York on 02/27/45 and arrived late in the ETO, not disembarking in France until 03/11/45 and I'm not sure they ever got to the front. They re-embarked at LeHavre, France, aboard the Lincoln Steffens on 07/27/45 (28 officers and 478 enlisted men shipment #10106-K) and arrived back in Charleston SC on August 7th, 1945 - the day after the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima.

Source: WWII Order of Battle, & Charleston Evening Post Aug 8 1945

The 767th FA Battalion used self-propelled (i.e. tracked) 155mm guns probably mounted on either M12 gun motor carriages or M40 GMC carriages.

Headquarters Battery is the HQ of the Artillery Battalion - it coordinates the fires of the Batteries in the Battalion. I'm sure a former 'redleg' on the forum can elaborate on the makeup &staffing of the batteries. (HQ/Service/A/B/C etc)

Here's a link to the T/O & E of a WWII 155mm artillery Battalion for your reference.

TO & E September 1944

There ya go....

I know they got over there pretty late in the war. He told me they didn't see any action. I have all of his roster paperwork and stuff. I'm going to be buiding his Ike jacket so I'm trying to figure out what patches he would be wearing. Army patch on the left and corps on the right?

TO & E September 1944

There ya go....

Here is something he brought back from the Lincoln Steffenspost-11587-1276750985.jpg