Tank Destroyer Officer #2

USMCRECON

Here is my other Tank Destroyer officer uniform. It also has Major's insignia on the epaulettes. Like #1, it has TD officer BOS that both face the same direction. This one has four overseas bars and two rows of ribbons. This one has the Tank Destroyer patch on the right sleeve and a 1st Allied Airborne Div patch on the left sleeve. This is puzzling as I don't believe the Airborne troops had any anti-tank vehicles with them but both patches look like they have been on the sleeves for a long time. Perhaps he was on the staff as an advisor, I don't know. As with TD #1, this is exactly how I got it. You can see a couple tiny white specs in the pictures but they are specks of lint that I failed to remove before taking the pictures.

The two pictures posted below turned out to be too big to allow any further pictures to be added. I was going to create a reply post with pictures of the two sholder patches but, upon review, the second picture on this post seems to show the patches adequately. If anyone is interested, I can post them later.

post-1107-1185309849.jpg

post-1107-1185309859.jpg

Here is my other Tank Destroyer officer uniform. It also has Major's insignia on the epaulettes. Like #1, it has TD officer BOS that both face the same direction. This one has four overseas bars and two rows of ribbons. This one has the Tank Destroyer patch on the right sleeve and a 1st Allied Airborne Div patch on the left sleeve. This is puzzling as I don't believe the Airborne troops had any anti-tank vehicles with them but both patches look like they have been on the sleeves for a long time. Perhaps he was on the staff as an advisor, I don't know. As with TD #1, this is exactly how I got it. You can see a couple tiny white specs in the pictures but they are specks of lint that I failed to remove before taking the pictures.

The two pictures posted below turned out to be too big to allow any further pictures to be added. I was going to create a reply post with pictures of the two sholder patches but, upon review, the second picture on this post seems to show the patches adequately. If anyone is interested, I can post them later.

TD_Ofcr2a.jpg

TD_Ofcr2b.jpg

Very nice. Have just been reading "Hell's Highway" which chronicles the 101st's actions on the ground during Market-Garden. They certainly had a combined AA/AT unit attached. The AT guns were 57MM which I believe was a Brit weapon towed by jeeps. These were delivered by glider.

Your suggestion that this guy might have been on 1AAA staff is a good one, but perhaps there were AT non-divisional AT units assigned directly to the army. Not sure how to check this, but you might look for campaign participation in M-G or Varsity. Also, at the end of the war, this army led the first US advance into Berlin -- there might have been something there, though it was no longer "Allied".

Hope this helps.

Very nice. Have just been reading "Hell's Highway" which chronicles the 101st's actions on the ground during Market-Garden. They certainly had a combined AA/AT unit attached. The AT guns were 57MM which I believe was a Brit weapon towed by jeeps. These were delivered by glider.

Your suggestion that this guy might have been on 1AAA staff is a good one, but perhaps there were AT non-divisional AT units assigned directly to the army. Not sure how to check this, but you might look for campaign participation in M-G or Varsity. Also, at the end of the war, this army led the first US advance into Berlin -- there might have been something there, though it was no longer "Allied".

Hope this helps.

Hi Gil. Thanks for your comments and information. I didn't know the Market Garden folks had anything other than man portable AT weapons with them. n fact, I didn't know a Waco was capable of carrying a towed arty piece other than, perhaps, a pack howitzer or similar. It would certainly make sense, though, for them to have something. I still have to do research on the owner of this one and will, hopefully, get to him before too long.

By the way, the top button is not missing, it seems I just didn't do a good pre-flight before taking the photo and forgot to button it.

This guy won the British Military Cross, I can't imagine many US officers were awarded this medal. It might be another source of research. Sweet uniform by the way, Mark.

This guy won the British Military Cross, I can't imagine many US officers were awarded this medal. It might be another source of research. Sweet uniform by the way, Mark.

Good point -- Mil Cr and Cr de G. I think this points to some sore of coordination with our allies.

I had to look at this one again. This is a killer jacket. I really like the ribbon bar.

I think your major beat Justin's major. What do you think Erwin??

WOW!! Silver Star, PH, Military Cross and Croix de Guerre (Silver Star Citation)!!! w00t.gif

Great uniform and history!! thumbsup.gif

Best regards,

Ricardo.

CNY Militaria
I had to look at this one again. This is a killer jacket. I really like the ribbon bar.

BUT, mine is 4th AD with SS, BS and 3 PH's! Thats hard to beat. OF course, its probably not TD...

Wouldn't mind having both in my little collection. :lol:thumbsup.gif;)

Erwin

Wouldn't mind having both in my little collection. :lol:thumbsup.gif;)

Erwin

That's what I was thinking. Hang them side by side and try to decide which I like best. think.gif:)

Ok, when you're trying to decide, I'd take the third one ....... B)whistling.gif

Erwin

That's what I was thinking. Hang them side by side and try to decide which I like best. think.gif:)

BUT, mine is 4th AD with SS, BS and 3 PH's! Thats hard to beat. OF course, its probably not TD...

You've definitely got me beat on the BSM and the number of PHs. Shottzie. :)

Here is the one officer's uniform that I have in my collection. It is as I received it. I do not add or move around insignia, but for me, the best part is the tab. There is a laundry tag of G(or 6) 3624 in it; it is prviate purchase, with no tailor info. There is a tag w/ lot number and size the name is not legible. The pants have a laundry tag w/a different number.

post-622-1185401807.jpg

post-622-1185401825.jpg

post-622-1185401849.jpg

What he said .... ;)

I like tabs like those, but am thinking they're very hard to find.

Erwin

Ohhhh......

How sweet is that. :)

Excellent tab Dave!! thumbsup.gif