Korean War EGA's

Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

I recently posted in another thread an early 1950's (51-55) clutchback enlisted EGA set that also had no black on it. I had thought it might have been polished off, but in looking around I found other examples from the same period that also looked mostly silver with no traces of black or bronze.

ega041907.jpgega041907back.jpg

Bob,

I have really taken an interest in the M1937 (1951-55 clutch) EM emblems because so many different variations have been showing up with the passing of Korean War vets. I believe the clutch fastener varieties from the Korean War period are really underappreciated and deserve allot more attention than they usually receive. They can be found in many different finishes and I have also found that some are hallmarked. I have found them with the same "gun barrel blued" finish as yours. I think the makers got the blueing technique down on these, because I haven't found any yet that have finishes missing. If you notice, your emblems also have the guide circles for placement of screw posts, so were these earlier existing stock? Did the makers offer both clutch fasteners and screw posts during this period? Many questions on this pattern too! Some other finishes I have encountered and added to my collection on these clutchbacks are greenish tint high shine laquer finish, H&H hallmarked in a beautiful chocolate brown laquer finish, H&H hallmarked and unhallmarked emblems in naked bronze, NS Meyer in a high gloss blued finish. Wonder how many other nice finishes exist in this pattern? Darrell (Teufelhunde,net) has clued me in on how to get better photos by placing a loop over my camera lense, so as soon as I get as proficient as him and start getting better pics, I need to get some of my clutchers posted. There are some very nice emblems in this pattern as has been demostrated by the ones you posted.

Gary

• 4 months later...

couple of matched sets in my collection. patina on the bottom one is different, maybe the vet mixed and matched when he broke one

EGA_Clutch_Front.JPG

• 2 years later...

Good morning to everyone,

Since bobgee suggested that I peruse the EGA Discussion/Reference Subforums, I've become fascinated with these emblems. And sensory-overloaded from so much great information. Here's one I can use some help with. I learned from the Reference section that the hallmark "HH" within the star is for Hilborn & Hamburger. What I would like to know about this particular EGA is the approximate dating and anything else anyone wants to share.

Thank you much,

Lynne

post-1405-1256306649.jpg

post-1405-1256306664.jpg

post-1405-1256306674.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Lynne, its a fine example of the Korean era collar emblem. This emblem called by most the M37 (date which the design came into use, was replaced by the current issue design starting in 1955/6) What makes this one unique is the incised hallmark... I've not seen that before, so this will surely end up in the reference section in time. That thread with others similar to this eagle, globe and anchor is located here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=18614

s/f Darrell

Lynne, its a fine example of the Korean era collar emblem. This emblem called by most the M37 (date which the design came into use, was replaced by the current issue design starting in 1955/6) What makes this one unique is the incised hallmark... I've not seen that before, so this will surely end up in the reference section in time. That thread with others similar to this eagle, globe and anchor is located here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=18614

s/f Darrell

Many thanks, Darrell, for your help. I'm so excited that this EGA will find its way to the Reference section (I'm having a Sally Field at the Academy Awards moment.) There are a few other EGAs that I'm trying to get my ducks in a row over and trying to use the EGA Discussion/Reference sections so I don't post redundant items. But my head is still spinning over all the variations. So I'm pretty sure I'll be back with more questions. These forums are so informative for a :emba0005: like me !

teufelhunde.ret
....so I don't post redundant items. But my head is still spinning over all the variations. So I'm pretty sure I'll be back with more questions. These forums are so informative for a :emba0005: like me !

Lynne, feel free to poat away on any eagle, globe and anchor (EGA) emblem. We are only to happy to help the starting collector avoid the mistakes and errors many of us have made. And there are many new variations coming along, such as the one you have posted for us to enjoy.

This period of time is an excellent period to start a Marine Corps emblem collection - the prices we see emblems being sold on ebay at this time are in some instances half of what items sold for a year, 18 months ago. While scarce EGA's continue to hold values and many instances continue to appreciate. Beware of the fakes and fantasy USMC emblems, here a thread to review. sf Darrell

Fake & fantasy Marine emblems: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=5101