29th RANGERS PATCH

101stfan

Nice,have you always had it? If I can ask?

Of course, he was born with it...

Okay, sorry...couldn't resist. :lol::lol::lol:

Looks like a great patch...I haven't seen any real ones to compare it to though. For those not knowing, can we get a history of the unit?

Dave

Captainofthe7th

Now that we have confirmation that this is the real deal...WOW is right. When will see another one of these???

Here I go again with a suggestion - is this worthy of going in the reference section?

Rob

I hate to throw a wet blanket on this but I have to disagree with Dave that this is a good piece. I compared to mine which is 100% correct and saw distinct differences in the lettering. Will not show scan; do not want to help the cheats. Mort

I want to thank everyone for all the replies.No I have not always had this patch as a mater of fact I just bought it and it's not in my possession yet..I feel real good about this patch even though it's not just like some of the others I have seen.This patch has some age on it and i am sure that has changed the appearance some what.All in all I feel it's a great WW2 original piece.....thanks Dennis

I want to thank everyone for all the replies.No I have not always had this patch as a mater of fact I just bought it and it's not in my possession yet..I feel real good about this patch even though it's not just like some of the others I have seen.This patch has some age on it and i am sure that has changed the appearance some what.All in all I feel it's a great WW2 original piece.....thanks Dennis

Dennis I am not trying to beat you up but I do not think it is good. You don't have to believe me but just look at airborne-hunters post and look at Daves scan and the photo with it on the uniform. It did not transform itself after years. Would advise returning for refund.Just my opinion and trying to help. Mort

Mort I think I see what your saying.Did they have more than one variation of this patch.The back looks good it has that black backing like you would want to see, The front looks very close. The only difference I see is in the color and that might be in the photo or lighting.I value your opinion Mort and would like to learn as much as I can....Thanks Dennis

Mort I think I see what your saying.Did they have more than one variation of this patch.The back looks good it has that black backing like you would want to see, The front looks very close. The only difference I see is in the color and that might be in the photo or lighting.I value your opinion Mort and would like to learn as much as I can....Thanks Dennis

Let me say at the outset that unlike Mort, I do not own one of these tabs. Having said that, however, let me point out the obvious (?) and say that these were not made on a loom. These were individually made, admittedly by highly skilled hand embroiderers, and therefore, there will be slight differences in the embroidery. There are lots of rare patches where one can honestly (and safely) say, "If your patch doesen't look like mine then yours ain't real." In my opinion, this is not one of those times. I would take this tab in a microsecond and I'm pretty picky.

Patch Johnson

everforward

I know where a legitimate one is located (donated by a vet's family), but it may take weeks or even months for me to get a look at it.....

In my humble opinion it looks right as rain.Scotty

There were reportedly two batches made (as the 29th R had two training cycles and were handed out at teh end of each one). However they were done by standard British Army tab making equipment. I was never able to find any conclusive proof they made two seperate batches instead of one big one, but the evidence points to it.

I own two of them (both ID'd to specific men) , both are exactly the same. One happens to be from the only officer to make the Norway Raid and we think this tab was with him there!). And I ahve seen some more in vet/family hands.

They are stuck away doemplace so I don't have them in front of me, however from memry alone this looks pretty similar. The most common repros were made with serifs so they stand right out.

I no longer say anythigng is good, as that leads to trouble (like people quo0ting me saying I said it was good when I never saw it). But I would be very intersted in knowing why you think it is bad. (PM me- I'll keep it under wraps).

I suppose soon what we will have to do is get a powerful microscope and start taking photos of the fibers- as that will be alot harder to fake on such a small level that just eyeballing it.

I suppose soon what we will have to do is get a powerful microscope and start taking photos of the fibers- as that will be alot harder to fake on such a small level that just eyeballing it.

Give it another 10-20 years and we can start carbon-14 dating the originals... ^_^ I think the patch looks pretty good, but nothing beats a good in hand inspection so until then...

Great feedback.I cant wait to get this patch in my possession so I can feel and smell it ,you can always tell the good ones when it's in hand .I am a WWII ranger collector and have bin looking for one of the 29th ranger tabs for a long time.I will not be asking for a refund "with all do respect to Mort".I'll bet when I get this patch it will look a bit different in better lighting.I will post some better pictures when it arrives.Thanks for all the help. I loved reading all the comments.....Dennis

This is the 29th RANGERS scroll I asked about in an earlier post.As promised better pictures for your comments.Thanks for looking and commenting................Dennis

After looking and holding this patch I am even more convinced it's 100% WWII issued.

post-821-1277156514.jpg

post-821-1277156557.jpg