Turn of the Century EGA's

bobgee

This set is older than the first. I have great provenance on the owner, his commissioning date and his service. I believe these to be his commissioning set. Comments, questions and PMs welcome...Thanks- Semper Fi! Bob

post_503_1179446809.jpg

post_503_1179446841.jpg

post_503_1179446867.jpg

post_503_1179446895.jpg

jeremiahcable

Man there are some nice EGAs showing up now. Bob, on your researched set, what is the guy's commissioning date? I recognize the collar EGA pattern, looks like he trenched the wings a bit, but not the visor bird. That thing screams "jeweler made" IMO.

Jeremiah

Bob Hudson

I started this thread just 30 days after I put the forum online and when we had maybe 20 members. It has become a catchall for EGA questions and it is indeed time to clean it out and move some stuff to the reference section and maybe even start a new thread or two. I can always edit things and add notes to posts to clarify and confusion resulting from moving things. PM me with a list of what you think should be moved to where.

And I want to create some sort of visual guide to EGA's where someone can look at pictures to get at least a rough idea of what they have. For starters on that we need first to create chronological list of EGA types. There is a website that has some poor photos of EGA's in chronological order. I'll make up a list based on that and then put that in a new thread so we can start fleshing out that.

I want you to know that we are really pleased with the level of EGA expertise you guys have brought to this forum. One of my goals was to make this the premiere forum for EGA expertise. As you can tell from my first post, I didn't know squat, so you're teaching me - and others - a lot.

Thanks,

Bob Hudson

This officer was commissioned in 1900. I date the set to then or perhaps a few years earlier. While obviously made of silver & gold the have no content markings. Note the method of attaching the eagle to the globe on the cap ornament. I also have his circa 1900 Mameluke sword. A little background on the 1900 set. They were in the Estate Sale several years ago of the wife of a deceased BGen USMC Ret (1929 - 1959) whose father was a retired Col. USMC (1900-1935). I bought most of the items offered by the Estate buyer, who had made groups of things and priced them accordingly. The emblems were in a baggy with all the other insignia not on uniforms. The buyer was primarily a 3rd Reich collector. He sold the 1900 Mameluke sword separately and I tracked it and bought it back. The Ret. BG was a NA grad aviator who I believe used his father's sword and perhaps wore these old dress emblems as well. I agreed to pay quite a hefty price but needless to say these emblems made me a happy camper! Thanks for all the nice comments. I'm pleased to share with collectors who have a common interest in USMC emblems. Semper Fi.....Bob

jeremiahcable

Bob G, that is one of the first things I noticed, along with the location and shape of the landmass. Looks like the piece may have had a pinback at one time? I noticed the two dimples on the anchor and the soldering job on the post. Very, very unique.

Jeremiah

J - The "dimple" on the anchor fluke is actually a pin to hold emblem in place. The other "dimple" is an air hole as the anchor is hollow. Never had a pn; always a a screwpost which actually is quite long.Bob

teufelhunde.ret

Bob, these emblems you are posting have me downright depressed and humbled. These 1900 period emblems are truly... museum pieces. We all tend to talk about what's seldom seen; rare... rarities... and so forth (and for the most part are). But this group of cap and collar is special and unique with documentation, provenance and other personal equipment. What more can be said, except THANK YOU for sharing... anymore like this in the closet?

Incredible material here. The dress examples posted are only the second ones I have ever seen. The other was in the Navy/Marine museum that used to be located in the main building on Treasure Island before the Navy closed the base and everything was dispersed.

CB

Jeremiah,

With Bob's new posts, my head is spinning, I'm feeling light headed and my wife even said she glimpsed wisps of smoke coming from my eyes and ears! Some very unique and beautiful birds showing up!

An acquaintance here and there has a single collar emblem of this pattern, but a matched pair is absolutely unheard of, other than in museums. Very nice find on these, Bob!

As for slightly "trenched wings" on the collar emblems? I don't think they've been touched. The ones I have seen from early 20th C. always seem to have this slight flairing. My guess is they are still the same as when purchased by the Marine way back when. The very early cover emblems tended to have the slightly smaller bird and if you notice, the wings on those are not flat like later models, but slightly angled at the shoulders and arched backwards at the wings. It appears they were made this way and not trenched, so I believe the collar emblems were done in much the same way.

Here is a service emblem in pretty much the same pattern. Note the squarish head. My emblem's bird features actually match the collar bird features more than the cover, but I'm certain they all come from the same family of emblems. Note the head and large claws. Mine has a fairly heavy blanket of brown repaint from many years ago, but the claws and heads are one and the same. Mine is also not hallmarked. As for jeweler made? Many of the 19th C. and early 20th C. emblems were exactly that, as in Tiffany and BB&B. It just amazes me that whoever it was that made these didn't feel it neccessary to put their names to them. These are just gorgeous emblems, Bob, and thanks for sharing images with us.

Gary

post-84-1179526093.jpg

post-84-1179526124.jpg

post-84-1179526143.jpg