Confederate Blade

ronl

Posting this for a friend. He was told it was a Confederate D-guard Bowie. He's thinking of selling it and he needs to know a ballpark figure. Is this a Confederate blade?post-1721-1276646119.jpg It is pretty rough. No markings.

I believe that something like 99.99% of knives purported to be Confederate knives are fakes. Well, maybe I'm exagerating a little, but you get the point. Assuming that it is genuine, even in that condition it would command some serious money. For that reason, I recommend spending a few dollars and having Bernard Levine check it and appraise it.

Good luck!

http://www.knife-expert.com/appr-k.htm

Where did he get it? Does he know anything else about it? I would be a bit leary of this, there are 1000 times more Confederate fakes than originals. There are fakes being sold on ebay right now as originals. Odd there is no maker mark too, most genuine confederate blades have a maker mark. I'm not an expert, just my two cents.

Yes, as Gun stated above I would get it appraised/authenticated. If it is real, it could be worth quite a bit.

Thanks, guys. This blade was rescued from an old bus that was going to be crushed many years ago. The pictures made the knife look much better than it actually is. I doubt if there could be any marks found on it due to the rust present, and I certainly do not want to clean it in any way. I do not believe the handle is original to the blade and there is what appears to be a repair to the back of the guard as it was brazed. I'll get the knife and do a good search for any markings.

Still-A-Marine
Thanks, guys. This blade was rescued from an old bus that was going to be crushed many years ago. The pictures made the knife look much better than it actually is. I doubt if there could be any marks found on it due to the rust present, and I certainly do not want to clean it in any way. I do not believe the handle is original to the blade and there is what appears to be a repair to the back of the guard as it was brazed. I'll get the knife and do a good search for any markings.

The advice to go to Bernard Levine's site is right on. He can tell a lot about the knife by the way it was made and material used. Even without markings he will most likely be able to tell you quite a bit. Good luck. Bill

Normally these D guards did not have makers marks as most genuine ones were actually made by your "local blacksmith," quite frequently they were made out of recycled material such as buggy springs, old files and such. Very few had any marks on them. It is very true that about 99% are fakes and extreme caution needs to be taken when contemplating selling or purchasing one.