DZ Normandy 2010

dogface44

• 3 weeks later...
RANDALL 1953

Great Pics and I like the little extra details like the hand sewn patches and the trooper wearing a captured Luftwaffe belt & buckle. The jump pictures brought back memories of my jump in Arizona in 82 at the SOF convention. Great job guys! :thumbsup:

In a few of those pics, I noticed some black rope/cord wrapped around a Musette Bag. Is this supposed to be engineer firing wire?

In a few of those pics, I noticed some black rope/cord wrapped around a Musette Bag. Is this supposed to be engineer firing wire?

Yes. This great group from Paris "Demolition Men" represents 326th Engineers.

Nice gilles !! I saw you went a ste marie , some pictures of my guys in 4th ID.

Hi Jay your group's display at Ste Marie du Mont was awesome. I especially enjoyed seeing your id'd

4th div liner and 4th Div KIA M41 Field Jacket in the memorial showcase.

Thank you all for your kind comments!

Here is a video I made of the boys at the airfield.

Kind regards,

Gilles

Hi Jay your group's display at Ste Marie du Mont was awesome. I especially enjoyed seeing your id'd

Kind regards,

Gilles

firing wire was red to my knowldge, at least according to ww2 Engineer FMs. you sure that's not primacord dipped in black paint?

Kind regards,

Gilles

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!! Bobgee

Demolition man
firing wire was red to my knowldge, at least according to ww2 Engineer FMs. you sure that's not primacord dipped in black paint?

I own several engineer FMs and I know there's nothing written on the subject, but there is two types of fuse cord, the orange ( or red ) one for general demolitions and the black one for underwater demolitions. The black one is covered with a thin layer of asphalt which makes it waterproof. I've got several original rolls of each recovered from a farm in the Cotentin peninsula a few years ago and we made our repros as close as we could to the originals.

I own several engineer FMs and I know there's nothing written on the subject, but there is two types of fuse cord, the orange ( or red ) one for general demolitions and the black one for underwater demolitions. The black one is covered with a thin layer of asphalt which makes it waterproof. I've got several original rolls of each recovered from a farm in the Cotentin peninsula a few years ago and we made our repros as close as we could to the originals.

might I ask how you made them? I'd be interested in knowing that so I can make some for myself. You must be talking about time (safety) fuze. Firing wire was 18g red wire so as not to be confused with commo wire...but time fuze was either white, black or orange. Thanks...looks awesome by the way.

giconceptsjw
Here are a few pictures of my stay in Normandy.

The reenactors in the pictures are from the French 'Airborne Command' assn.

Kind regards Gilles

That's as good as it gets for re-enacting and recreations. Very good job, everyone in your group. Really first class. Thanks very much for posting your pics.

JW

Demolition man
You must be talking about time (safety) fuze. Firing wire was 18g red wire so as not to be confused with commo wire...but time fuze was either white, black or orange.

Fogive me for misunderstanding, I read your post too quickly.

• 1 month later...
dsc03918.jpg

dsc03925.jpg

Tell the LT on the right to take off his Air Force gloves...

dsc03961.jpg

And your "Top" might want to address the weapon-handling technique being displayed to his left...that "soldier" needs to unhook his trigger finger.

And on a more serious note: while the uniforms, weapons and gear appear to be well thought out, why is everyone wearing green and white T-shirts? Soldiers in the Army in 1944 wore the sleeveless OD cotton undershirt...unless I missed something and the Airborne got special underwear too.

And your "Top" might want to address the weapon-handling technique being displayed to his left...that "soldier" needs to unhook his trigger finger.

And on a more serious note: while the uniforms, weapons and gear appear to be well thought out, why is everyone wearing green and white T-shirts? Soldiers in the Army in 1944 wore the sleeveless OD cotton undershirt...unless I missed something and the Airborne got special underwear too.

There are always little details like this to point out, especially when pictures are close ups.

We are not in the military and still have a lot to learn, some of the guys are only jumpers and made the effort to get the correct gear especially for that jump.

If you are a reenactor, I would be very interested to see pictures, of you/your group in WW2 uniform.

There are always little details like this to point out, especially when pictures are close ups.

We are not in the military and still have a lot to learn, some of the guys are only jumpers and made the effort to get the correct gear especially for that jump.

If you are a reenactor, I would be very interested to see pictures, of you/your group in WW2 uniform.

If you'll notice, after I wrote the first two comments I then said "on a more serious note"....in other words, I was joking.

You might also note that I actually complimented them when I said "the uniforms, weapons and gear appear to be well thought out".

I just really don't understand why you would spend all the apparent time and trouble on everything except something as simple as the undershirt, yet I see it all the time.

So I guess no one in ww2 ever had his hands in there pockets....this is ww2 reenacting not the 90's army

cody

Cody,

The "Air Force gloves" joke was just that...a joke. And, by the way, it originally came from my dad. He was initially drafted in 1945, then called up to serve in 1950 for Korea. He retired as a SGM after 30+ years of service. Whenever I put my hands in my pockets, since I was kid, he would tell me to "take off those Air Force gloves!" He was and is, an old Army soldier, so this is not "the 90's Army"...whatever that's supposed to mean.