USMC P42 camouflage

Corpsmancollector

Corpsmancollector

Afternoon all,

I've been looking through numerous pictures of original P42 camo on the net this afternoon and I have a question: were the snaps on the jacket and trousers maker marked on the reverse? (United Carr for example etc.)

These pictures were taken from a recent eBay auction:

Pants:

post-5339-1276614872.jpg

Close up of fabric:

post-5339-1276614902.jpg

Corpsmancollector

Reverse of snap:

post-5339-1276615013.jpg

As you can tell, they are stamped with a manufacturers name on the reverse of the snap. The pants sold for $450, which I thought was cheap for an original pair. I think the fabric and colour looks good and they show honest wear, however in the first photo the fabric does seem to be almost 'shiny' (which could be an effect of the light conditions when the photo was taken) and I wasn't 100% on the silver appearance of the reverse of the snaps. I'm probably being paranoid and they're a great set, but I don't have any original P42s so I thought I'd put the question out there.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

CMC,

I (am fortunate enough to) have pair (sorry, that sounds funny)...

But I digress.

I have a set of P42 trousers, and the snaps (or at least the one I just looked at) are United Carr.

JC

I dont know a lot about USMC camo P42s but i do know that RAU Fastener CO. was a WWII snap manufacturer.....mike

Elsewhere on the forum a couple of folks say that United Carr is the most common, but Rau can also be found on these.

I just checked my pieces.

On the experimental jacket it has brass donut buttons with no maker .

On the regular set the buttons were Rau manufacturing.

owen

Corpsmancollector
I just checked my pieces.

On the experimental jacket it has brass donut buttons with no maker .

On the regular set the buttons were Rau manufacturing.

owen

Many thanks to one and all for the confirmation!

O, brass donut buttons with no maker! I always throught those with donut buttons were 'United States Marine Corps?' - Are the buttons blank?

Sounds like one super rare experimental!

My Experimental jacket is named in the usual way with the ink pen above the left pocket.

It has the typical left breast pocket and a pocket below it.

It is made from 3 different batches of fabric.

The bottom helm has web tape.

Buttons are brass and stamped with the usual markings.

Its nearly mint.

Its the same one as in the famous picture with the Marine wearing the helmet cover as a hat ,with the branches poking through,check Alex Tulkoff Grunt Gear page 39 and you will see an example.

Alex mentioned to a friend he had never seen one before, so I would assume its a rare piece of USMC camouflage.

owen

Corpsmancollector
My Experimental jacket is named in the usual way with the ink pen above the left pocket.

It has the typical left breast pocket and a pocket below it.

It is made from 3 different batches of fabric.

The bottom helm has web tape.

Buttons are brass and stamped with the usual markings.

Its nearly mint.

Its the same one as in the famous picture with the Marine wearing the helmet cover as a hat ,with the branches poking through,check Alex Tulkoff Grunt Gear page 39 and you will see an example.

Alex mentioned to a friend he had never seen one before, so I would assume its a rare piece of USMC camouflage.

owen

Hi O,

Checked my copy of Grunt Gear :w00t: sounds like a beauty! I think Ron has a shirt similar with donut buttons etc?

Thanks Jim, I think the verdict's unanimous!

I just checked my 42 set and both trouser and jacket have blackened brass Scoville snaps.

Every thing is consistent with the P1942. Is this correct with that type of snap?

• 2 months later...

HI, I have an Original P42 Camo Uniform that was give to me by a neighbors Grandmother. The uniform belong to her husband. He was a Private assigned to the 3rd Amphibious Corps on Bougainiville Island. The pants and jacket are in great conditions. The Jacket and pants have his name stenciled on them. I noticed all your snaps are hallmarked. The snaps on mine are not. I researched the reason for this and was told the first ones issued to the Marines, the snaps were not hallmarked. Has anyone seen any P42's without hallmarked snaps. I also have is dress Uniform with the 3rd Amphibious Corps Patch, his hats and fighting knife. All these items were stored in boxes since 1945.

I have photos, but can't seem to upload them. Upload size is to large. Would like to show them, maybe someone could help me.

Thanks

Joe